Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > Surgery Central

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Getting Comfortable

You can have surgery to remove epilepsy?!?

Hello

I was not aware at all that you could have surgery to remove epilepsy. Is this true? If so, please post links and details. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

Lol

Well, that depends on a variety of factors. What type of E is it? Where is it located in the brain? Is the focus too far down in the brain? Is it safe for the surgeons to access that area without doing damage to the rest of your brain?....and there's a bunch more questions to be answered.

You might want to poke around in the Library and Kitchen. You'll find quite a few answers there. And, opinions of those whom have already had the surgeries........
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the things that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Old 06-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Hello, riahc! :-)

Meetz is correct. For instance, I was tested & tested to see if I could have surgery to remove the source of my seizures since they're located in my temporal lobe. Well, not only are they located in my temporal lobe, but when I have a seizure, it spreads all through out my brain. So in a nutshell, neurosurgeons would have to remove my entire brain to permanently stop my seizures. Kinda crazey-mazey, isn't it? By the way, you'll find this site a superb source of info & support, riah, so kick off your shoes & sit in the most comfy chair you can find, because you'll have a blast here. Very pleased you could join us. Take care & chin up! :~)

Last edited by Ann T.; 06-22-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,056 Posts
Hi riahc and welcome,

Yes, brain surgery for epilepsy is a possibility for some, depending on where the seizures originate, what type, etc. I had a Left Temporal Lobectomy nearly 20 years ago, but for me it wasn't successful, although things have improved since then, plus they could not remove all the damaged area, otherwise I would have ended up like a severe Alzheimer patient.

Here is a good website that explains it all:
http://www.epilepsy.com/EPILEPSY/surgery

Last edited by Cint; 06-22-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Getting Comfortable

I had the surgery over 4 years ago. I have been seizure free since then and on March 1, 2010 I finally became med-free and still no seizures. I had my surgery done at NYU Langone Med Center and have met about 15 other people who have had the surgery, successfully! If you have tried meds and they aren't working OR if you don't want to spend the rest of your life on meds, check out the surgery. I would definitely recommend seeing if you're a candidate for surgery.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator / Fantastico
Recent Blog: Kindness is

Bella

Can you tell us more about your surgery, and what type of seizures you had?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the things that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Old 06-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Getting Comfortable

Sure.

As for my history. I had a febrile as an infant, then nothing. At age 8 I got hit in the head with a bat and started having nocturnal seizures. I was put on phenobarbital a year later which stopped the nocturnal szs and I started with auras, deja vu, simple partials and panic attacks. At 25 I decided I had no problems (since no one had ever told me I had epilepsy and I didn't ask) and stopped taking the meds. That resulted in a few grand mals (tonic clonic). I switched to tegretol and my seizures switched to simple & complex partials. I added neurontin-along with 50 lbs- still seizures. I then switched to Lamictal (at age 35), seizures continued and my memory was affected. I couldn't take feeling clueless, so I agreed to surgery in '05. I have been seizure free since then and the most amazing is that I'm med-free 3 months, my dyslexia has disappeared and my memory is the best it's been in years.

I would recommend people see if surgery is an option.

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/journal/issue1/surgery

Last edited by Meetz1064; 06-29-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added link