Bloody Noses?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My toddler (diagnosed 5 months ago) has woken up twice the last week with bloody noses (never had them before). I know it's winter, and the air can be dry, but we're constantly asked by the neuro he has seizures while he's sleeping, and we've always replied not that we know of. Has anyone seen a link between bloody noses and seizures?

Nose bleeds can sometimes be a sign of a seizure, since the blood pressure rises during them. It's possible that the dry air is a contributing factor too -- making the blood vessels more fragile in the nose, and more vulnerable to any pressure increases. Have you tried a humidifier to see if that helps? Has your son had any sinus issues in the past? Is he on any meds? They might also be playing a role if they are affecting red blood cells.

My daughter had an episode last night related to a fever where she wakes up having auditory hallucinations. last night the episode was accompanied by a noseblled from her right nostril only. The dr suspects maybe seizure but we have no diagnosis or appointmets yet. Did you ever find out that the nosebleed was or wasnt related to the seizure? i am so lost and stresses i dont know what to think

A good sign that I've had a nocturnal seizure is having blood at the back of my throat or sometimes from my nose when I wake up. I just figured it was maybe from biting my tongue or something.

Back
Top Bottom