Deciding not to medicate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I just need some reassurance that we've done the right thing. Our son was diagnosed with simple partial seizures, likely benign rolandic, in the spring. His EEG didn't show the diagnostic pattern, but it still could likely be BRE. With our pediatricians blessing and at his recommendation, we are not medicating at this time. He had a seizure in April and one in May, then none until the middle of September. He had 2 within 3 days, then none in the month since then.

Each seizure has been less than 30 seconds and shows the typical BRE symptoms of tingling tongue and mouth, inability to speak, cheek twitching, and lack of post-ictal confusion or fatigue.

Our pediatrician has been consulting with a pediatric neurologist at a children's hospital. He was fairly certain that if consulted again on my son, she would recommend medicating. He was against it because of brevity and self-limiting quality of the seizures. Weighing the possible side effects of meds, both medical and behavioral, he decided and we agreed that it is in our son's best interest to wait even though he's had 4 seizures in 6 months.

Now, I'm second guessing and wondering if we did the right thing. I feel in my heart that we did, but am wondering if anyone else has made the decision not to medicate for minor, infrequent seizures?

Thanks!

I think with BRE, you might choose medication if the seizures are recurrent or irritating. But you want to weigh that decision against possible side effects. It sounds like the seizures haven't become too frequent or otherwise problematic, so I would agree with the decision not to medicate. :twocents:

Hi, what Nakamova said. And I feel for you as a parent. But I am the one with seizures in my case. The whole medication thing is baffling and poison is a risky business with those pharmacopia beliefs. I hope the best and I would love to be updated on your journey.

Hi, my little man started having seizures around 7 months. The Nureo decided to monitor him and he did not start medication until around 15months old which we were happy with. We trust his Nureo and he has been so great at keeping in contact with us while everyone tries to work out what is happening with our little man.
I am not sure his medication is quite right yet, he's 21months and still some things happening but for him we feel it was the right choice as his development has now caught up to almost normal and i had not realised how much his events were affecting his development. He has different types of events and although usually not long has them most days sometimes several times a day.
For us we are now waiting for his speech to develop more so he can assist us with his treatment.
Good luck with it all. I know how hard it is as a parent wondering if you are doing the right thing.
Donna

Back
Top Bottom