Does anyone homeschool?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hunter is scheduled for his pupil appraisal evaluation in January, and I'm trying to get as informed as possible before then so that I can make the decision whether to go through with the IEP approach they intend to use, or to homeschool.

I'm fortunate enough to fall under some pretty lenient laws here in Louisiana, and I can set myself up as a private school not seeking accreditation and do everything my own way and at his own pace.

I was hoping that perhaps someone had some experience in this, and that perhaps I could get some recommendations for online resources, schedules, curriculum, grants, opinions about pros and cons - anything....I'd like to get as much info as possible so that I can make the right choice.

I did

homeschool my special needs son for about a year and a half, for different reasons. I used a different program, without online resources, but digging revealed a couple that might look promising for you:

Home Forum 1

Home Forum 2

Homeschooling is fun when you do it right, and enjoyable as well. But, it does take effort.

I wish you the best of luck!

We educated our daughter @ home last year to great success with the wonderful
Support of our LEA "EOTAS" Team - obviously the rules & regs, etc here are different but surely you must have a similar set up - let me know if you'd like me to forward details so, at least you can draw comparisons- It was an experience we thoroughly enjoyed & presented us with great challenges
Col

Thank you Meetz, that first forum is one I hadn't found yet so that will give me lots of stuff to look through.

And yes please, Col-I did a quick google on EOTAS-I wish we had something like that here. Actually no, we don't have anything like that here. Yet another benefit other countries have that I am envious of.

The only option I have here other than being totally on my own is what's called Home Study, but it's expensive and fiercely regulated by standardized tests. If you don't stay within their exact guidelines they take away approval to study at home. My son has developmental delay, and there isn't an option for specialized study/testing.

I'd love to know what specifically was helpful for you all so that I can see if implementing it somehow myself is possible.

It's good to know that you both had positive experiences.

Last night I ran across the promising idea of a virtual charter school (Connections Academy), basically you have the benefits of tuition free public school but with the parent as the teacher getting curriculum online and help from certified teachers as needed. I have no idea how different it might be for a special needs child or if it would even work in my situation. You can even get a loaner computer and study materials an allowance for internet and other supplies-it sounds wonderful in theory-but unfortunately it isn't available in my state yet anyway. Just thought I'd put it on here in case anyone else searching might find it as it is available in other places in the US.

I used

a specific curriculum, from one homeschooling company, and was able to tailor it to my son because of his needs. He is a special needs child as well...he's an Asperger's child, but due to a number of issues, was well behind on his reading at the time......

I homeschooled Rebecca from Grades 6.5 - 8th. I used the curriculum from Laurel Springs. I was very happy with it.

She went back to public school in 9th grade.

While she homeschooled she began to enjoy learning again.

Our state has free online schools, plus supplementary activities onsite at school (sports, arts, music programs). If you google your state name, plus online schools, I bet a list pops up. Contacting your school district will also provide info on what support your school district offers, like supplementary tutors, sports programs, music, etc.

Back
Top Bottom