food allergy and seizures.. connected?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momto2

New
Reaction score
I've always had an issue with milk/dairy products. My 3 year old daughter was put on soy formula around 6 weeks old because she was getting terrible gas pain from drinking regular formula. She has since outgrown the issues with Milk and it's not longer a problem for her. My 1 year old son (who began having seizures in September) I also put on Soy formula very early as he had the same reaction my daughter had. Their pediatrician tells me to try some milk every few months to see if he's outgrown the allergy.

Well, I can't recall when it was exactly, but I know it was sometime around 9-10 months old, I gave him 1 oz of milk mixed in with his soy formula. He wasn't able to finish the bottle before he started projectile vomiting.

A week or two ago I made mac n cheese from the box mix, but used soy milk since we were out of regular milk. He ate some and had no issue.

Tonight I make it again only without giving it much thought used regular milk. It's 1/4cup to a whole box of mac n cheese. I gave him maybe 2 spoons of it and he fed himself by hand. Within 10 minutes or so I noticed his face was RED. Cheeks, lips, eye, even the whites of his eyes were blood shot. At first I thought it was just skin irritation from his messy self feeding and wiped him clean. Then the welts or hives started forming on his hands and wrists. He couldn't stop rubbing his eye.

I quickly got him in the bath tub to was him off and watched him for the next few hours. He swelling went down by the time he was out of the bath but his eyes were still very red.

I googled and found many comments about milk allergies linked to seizures. I can't remember if he'd had milk prior to those other seizures or not. It's certainly possible. Has anyone here found a connection? Other than allergy tests are there any other tests I should ask for?

spinach cleans my meds out of my system, which is a shame, because i love it to

Our Jonathan doesn't have a milk allergy (his sister did) but we did note that eggplant (a member of the nightshade family, and a common allergen for some people) seems to trigger seizures in him. There were 3 different times when we had eggplant, and then he'd have a seizure within the next 2 hours (and this was back when he rarely had daytime seizures).

We eliminated all the nightshade foods from his diet (eggplant, peppers, tomato) just to be on the safe side. Also, we kept a food and seizure (and diarrhea) log, and eventually eliminated egg and avocado, as these seemed to trigger diarrhea which in turn often led to seizures (perhaps because he wasn't absorbing his meds or his nutrients well).

Back
Top Bottom