Keppra help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was hoping somebody has an answer for me. My son was recently diagnosed with epilepsy, and I have not even had time to let it sink in but already facing drug questions. He has only been on meds for two days and I am told Keppra has behavioral side effects, my son is challenged behaviorally to begin with so I don't know if what I am seeing is just him dealing with his diagnosis or is it the medication. I feel like I am living a nightmare with him right now, and not sure what to do about the drugs.

I was hoping somebody has an answer for me. My son was recently diagnosed with epilepsy, and I have not even had time to let it sink in but already facing drug questions. He has only been on meds for two days and I am told Keppra has behavioral side effects, my son is challenged behaviorally to begin with so I don't know if what I am seeing is just him dealing with his diagnosis or is it the medication. I feel like I am living a nightmare with him right now, and not sure what to do about the drugs.

What kind of symptoms is he showing? You might want to try Vitamin B12 and B6 as I hear that helps with some. I've also been told that keppra's side effects are front end loaded meaning that they might even out later on. It really boils down to what is right for him, if the side effects are awful you might want to try a different medicine.

Is it too soon to see side effects, today is day three?

Not at all. Is he doing a stepping stone to get to his recommended dose? Like 500 in the morning and night day one, then 750 the next day and so on?

He is stepping up, very low dose. 100mg one time a day for three days; tomorrow we start 250mg until we have blood work. I am not even positive I am right about that dosage. He is taking 1.5 ml's of the 100 mg bottle and tomorrow we start 250 ml's out of the same. I am so blinded by this, I ordinarily have all my facts and get my ducks in a row first but he had three grand mal seizures in one night so we were left with no choice but to medicate. Any advice is helpful.

He is stepping up, very low dose. 100mg one time a day for three days; tomorrow we start 250mg until we have blood work. I am not even positive I am right about that dosage. He is taking 1.5 ml's of the 100 mg bottle and tomorrow we start 250 ml's out of the same. I am so blinded by this, I ordinarily have all my facts and get my ducks in a row first but he had three grand mal seizures in one night so we were left with no choice but to medicate. Any advice is helpful.
I'd wait until he is at his recommended dose and give it a few weeks to see if there are any consistent changes. He might just be bummed out by being diagnosed. If there is anything serious that shows up then you should call the doctor but don't take him off the medicine. I find it strange that they're doing blood work, if I remember correctly Keppra is processed through the Kidneys but I'm no doctor.

Did they do an EEG or MRI? It is best to slowly ramp up the dosage of any seizure medication, as they do all have side effects. Keppra can cause rage issues for some, so if it continues, call the neuro. I take Keppra, but I also take an anti-depressant with it.

Are there artificial colors or flavors in the liquid? I know either would cause my son to have behavioral issues. Better to eliminate factors to see if the med or the additives are causing the changes.

J

I hope and pray that things will work out on keppra for your son..wishing you lots of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom