Meds

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

lukesdad

New
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and had a question . To give a little background my 8 year old son has had E since he was 2 years old and been on several meds to stop them but they dont stop them completly he will go several weeks without have one then he may have 5 or 6 in one day. just curious if it is possible to stop them completly with the right meds so he can live a normal life.

Hi LukesDad --

So tough to predict what will do the trick for you son. E is frustratingly unpredictable that way. Currently for me, the meds are working and I am seizure free. Since your son is still growing and changing, it's likely that his response to the meds will change as well, and perhaps his seizures will change too. Ideally, even without total seizure control, if you can get your son down to a minimum numbers of AEDs that would be great.

Hello Nakamova

how long have you been seizure free and are you able to drive.

I've been seizure-free for 2.5 years, as well as for various prior chunks of time in the last 10 years (since my first seizures). When I have had seizures (grand mals) in the past, they have been because I was trying to go off meds (under doctor supervision). I have been driving for the majority of the last decade, and I drive now.

It is my opinion that no one can accurately predict the answer to that question for anyone. There are lots of members here that struggle to find a solution for 100% complete seizure control. There are others who obtain complete seizure control with monotherapy on the first AED they try - only to have breakthrough seizures years down the line.

I think the majority of people you find in these forums are the ones who are having the least success with control (or most difficulty with side effects or other quality of life issues). There is likely a large number of people who do live "normal" (whatever that is) lives with great seizure control and negligible side effects.

For those who don't, there are things that you can explore that might reduce one's dependence upon the drugs: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Back
Top Bottom