my 4 year old had a seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brendlm

New
Reaction score
My 4 year old daughter had a grand mal seizure this morning while with my mom. I had to rush home from work. She was just sitting there looking pale and sick. We took her to the doctor to affirm she did have a seizure. This has never happened before. She was sitting down to eat breakfast and fell off the chair totally unresponsive with her chest jerking. She is going in for an EEG in the morning. I'm at a loss and really in shock. My 11 year old son was just diagnosed with benign rolandic epilepsy on Friday. CRAZY!!!!

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this -- you've got your hands full for sure. Were there any unusual stressors that might have caused your daughter's seizure? Any chance it's a one-off?

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this -- you've got your hands full for sure. Were there any unusual stressors that might have caused your daughter's seizure? Any chance it's a one-off?

Nothing unusual and no stress. It's very weird. I sure hope its nothing.

I do not know what BRE is (I will look it up)...but I wondering (that since your son was just diagnosed with E and your daughter just had a seizure) if they could have been exposed to something that could have caused this.

Yes, I have defiantly thought about that. Like is their something in my house causing this? Just too weird!

Yes, I have defiantly thought about that. Like is their something in my house causing this? Just too weird!

Actually, BRE is thought to be a genetic disorder though some do question that.
Benign epilepsy with centrotemporal spikes is thought to be a genetic disorder. An autosomal dominant inheritance with age dependency and variable penetrance has been reported, although not all studies support this theory.[3][8][9] Linkage studies have pointed to a possible susceptibility region on chromosome 15q14, in the vicinity of the alpha-7 subunit of the acetylcholine receptor.[10] Most studies show a slight male predominance.[3] Because of the benign course and age-specific occurrence, it is thought to represent a hereditary impairment of brain maturation.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolandic_epilepsy#Genetics_and_disease_mechanism

Sorry to hear what your going through, with both your kids. Hope you get some answers soon.

You need to be a detective to figure it out...even if BRE is genetic, that does not mean it needs to be "expressed". Something may have pushed the kids
over the edge. Did they get the flu shot? Did you have the exterminator come? Did you have any recent renovations (lead or other toxins)? Did you
get some new dishes (lead or cadmium in the glaze)? If you are in a warm-weather area, did you have the lawn treated (or did the neighbor)?

It just seems strange that both are having issues in a short period of time.

You need to be a detective to figure it out...even if BRE is genetic, that does not mean it needs to be "expressed". Something may have pushed the kids
over the edge. Did they get the flu shot? Did you have the exterminator come? Did you have any recent renovations (lead or other toxins)? Did you
get some new dishes (lead or cadmium in the glaze)? If you are in a warm-weather area, did you have the lawn treated (or did the neighbor)?

It just seems strange that both are having issues in a short period of time.

So, what do you mean that it does not mean it need to be expressed? Nothing that I know of has pushed my kids over the edge. We have had no big stressors in our lives lately. No deaths, no anything. Yes, they all had flu shots just as all of them have ever since they were old enough to get them. No exterminator, no recent renovations, no new dishes, no out of the ordinary weather, no lawn treatment. Neighbor? not that I know of. I'm just shocked and I understand your questioning. It very odd and I'm a very worried momma. I slept 2 hours last night watching my baby girl sleep. I'm doing all I know to do and that is investigate. I thought about enviromental, genetics, etc. I want answers and I want my kids to be safe, and not let this affect them. I'm reaching out in this forum for others who have possibly been through this and can offer advice, support, and guide me to more information, websites that may be helpful.

Maybe the flu shot was a trigger that set off the seizures in both your kids.

My hubby's niece had a round of vaccines and had a seizure within two hours.

Some people can be sensitive to things that others are not...kind of a "straw that
breaks the camel's back" analogy...

Hi Brendlm - hope you don't mind me butting in as a newbie, but if it makes you feel any better, most kids with BFE outgrow it in late adolescence. One of my friends had it as a kid, but was able to stop taking her meds around 18 and hasn't had a seizure in over 20 years (she's 36). Her sister was never diagnosed with it, and no genetic screening has ever been done - for all we know she might have it too, but never had more than an infrequent nocturnal seizure that didn't get documented or something.

It probably is genetic, but not enough twin & family studies have been done to determine if it truly is, how often it is diagnosed in those who have the genetic markers, etc. Not all genetic problems need to be "triggered" by something environmental - the genetic code is an immensely complex thing, and there are so many interactions within the genome that can make a difference.

For example, we've all met people with Down Syndrome, and there is a HUGE variety in the degree to which it affects their appearance, mental abilities and physical abilities. Yet we know EXACTLY what causes it - extra chromosomal material on the 21st pair.

Personally, I wouldn't spend time worrying about what may have caused it, and instead focus on ensuring you have a good relationship with the kids' various doctors and the pharmacist! :)

Back
Top Bottom