Prognosis of Left Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mom210

New
Reaction score
Hi,

My son has been potentially diagnosed with Left Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. He has an MRI Thursday and we will know more, but I am wondering what the prognosis is for academic functioning with this disorder? I know if he continues to seize they may recommend surgery. I also know since that area is connected to memory and speech there could be complications there, but if he just has tremors and partial seizures (new med has helped him go from tonic-clonic seizures 3 days in a row, 3 on the third day to none in a week now).

I know there are no guarantees but if he is having little seizures but no big ones, will it effect (affect?) his ability to learn? He is above average intelligence now. He seems to not be maturing as fast this year, though. He is only 7.

Thanks for advice or info~

Hi Mom210 --

Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy is the most common form of epilepsy. It's often drug-resistant, so the fact that your son's seizures are responding to medication is a good sign!

Seizures (even partial seizures) are more likely to cause cognitive problems if they remain uncontrolled over a long period of time. So it would be great if the partials will responds to treatment as well. It may take a bit of trial and error to get the right dose or combination of meds. The medications can also cause learning problems, so you'll need to pay close attention to any changes and check in with the doctor with any concerns.

welcome mom210 :)
i'm assuming it's the first mri? and very dependant on if there's a root cause (head injury, genes w/epilepsy, lesion/tumor etc.). sufferers with these causes are more likely to have surgery as there is something to work with; it's a selective operation, however it greatly depends on the type of seizures as well. those with tonic clonics only are not usually a candidate b/c there's nothing to pin down, so (that silver lining we always have to find), if he is having partial seizures it crosses that negative off.
i wouldn't worry (i know, hard as a parent) too too much at this point. there is such a vastness (ironically tho we also have so much in common), from one patient to the next, and for the most part one can live fairly normal.
ie: a lesion developed before birth but i didn't have my first seizure until 15; aced school, gradded early, started a business, have always had a great memory.... etc.
have lived a 'what's normal for me' life, and i'm left mesial TLE as well. even after surgery my memory (though a few changes, temporary) is still okay. my szs were smaller (partials) for 10 years, didn't have a grand mal until age 25, and it didn't touch my ability to achieve anything, from school to career.
of course, with epilepsy there are downtimes, but it still can be a fairly normal life, with a few adjustments made. support is huge and it sounds like he'll be just fine in that department ;)

what medication was he put on? nak's so right about mesial TLE often not being a drug fan, so if it's working, and that quickly!, that's a great sign.

Back
Top Bottom