Coping With Epilepsy Denver Neurofeedback
10% off neurofeedback training for CWE members - Denver, CO
Neurofeedback Partner - Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > The Lounge > Brain's Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Getting Comfortable

Regrets

I had a surgery back in 2012 and had my ups and downs. My memory was effected alot and I feel mentally detached. Has anyone had surgery and regretted it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 10:13 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,056 Posts
Originally Posted by vagellie View Post:
I had a surgery back in 2012 and had my ups and downs. My memory was effected alot and I feel mentally detached. Has anyone had surgery and regretted it?
Hi vagellie,

I had a temporal lobectomy years ago to no avail. And yes, I do regret having it done. It did effect my memory and made me very, very depressed, so much so that I even have mood swings to this day. I was only seizure-free for 14 months and then they came back with vengeance. Now I have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator and it helps.

{{{HUGS}}}
Old 06-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I suppose one can wish they did not have surgery, but what i had learned in my early epilepsy life is that seizures (for me at least) and brain damage slowly got worse, and worse... the longer I would have waited, my brain would have taken more of a hit than the results of surgery brought about. I think if I could look at results of either choice, surgery was really my only option.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:30 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,056 Posts
cadsgj,

vagellie and I DO wish we didn't have surgery, like we both said! The surgery DID cause more damage to my hippocampus and if I had a 2nd surgery, the surgeon told me I could end up like an end stage Alzheimer's patient--- no memories left. If I had not had the surgery in the first place, I would not have the memory problems I now have, I would not have the depression I now have and the seizures would not have progressed to tonic-clonic.
Glad surgery was YOUR only option! It is not for everyone!!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 PM

If I could go back and show myself what I've become because of having surgery, I wouldn't have had it done.
I had surgery on my right front temporal lobe and my hippocampus. And because of that, my short-term memory is basically gone.

I'm still having seizures, and depression too, that for me, is difficult to describe to dr's or family for them to understand. But if I had been told of the VNS or the RNS instead, I probably would have chosen 1 of them over surgery.

Last edited by seizuregirl; 06-20-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed wording
Old 07-01-2017, 09:22 AM

I was told that I couldn't have surgery as my seizures come from both sides of my brain and honestly I refuse to have it done. I would rather live with the seizures than be depressed or worse. Nothing against you guys but I always fear something terrible would happen in a surgery which is possible.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Getting Comfortable

Unfortunately I was up against the wall of my seizures continued as they did I would be worse. I don't have nearly as many but my memory and cognitive skills were effected alot.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:26 PM
Getting Comfortable

Originally Posted by Cint View Post:
Hi vagellie,

I had a temporal lobectomy years ago to no avail. And yes, I do regret having it done. It did effect my memory and made me very, very depressed, so much so that I even have mood swings to this day. I was only seizure-free for 14 months and then they came back with vengeance. Now I have the Vagus Nerve Stimulator and it helps.

{{{HUGS}}}
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post:
I was told that I couldn't have surgery as my seizures come from both sides of my brain and honestly I refuse to have it done. I would rather live with the seizures than be depressed or worse. Nothing against you guys but I always fear something terrible would happen in a surgery which is possible.