1st time here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnd1947

New
Reaction score
just diagnosed yesterday and still trying to cope with the information...this disorder stemmed from an accident with a 65 lb pan of potato salad (don't laugh) being dumped on my head 41 years ago, while serving in the U.S. Navy. does anyone know how to get ahold of the VA for disability benefits, due to a service related incident? not too happy about not driving.

just diagnosed yesterday and still trying to cope with the information...this disorder stemmed from an accident with a 65 lb pan of potato salad (don't laugh) being dumped on my head 41 years ago, while serving in the U.S. Navy. does anyone know how to get ahold of the VA for disability benefits, due to a service related incident? not too happy about not driving.

Welcome Aboard. Sorry to hear about the damn accident that caused the problem - what a bitch !

I haven't got a clue about helping you with disability benefits, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly - they're a nice helpful bunch on here :tup:

Can I ask you a question ? You don't have to answer, I won't hold it against you, but how did they tie-up the problem with the potato salad being dumped on your head ALL that time ago ?

PS. I wish I could drive too. My passion for cars is huuuuge - just typical that I had to draw the short straw in that field. :( ....still, I've got all my faculties, so things could be worse.

Welcome gnd1947

My old man is a disabled VA, service related. Here is the VA website. There is a ton of info here to help you get started. One word of advice, get a letter written by your doctor that clearly states your brain injury was caused by that 65 pound pan of potato salad.

Getting it deemed service related will be a struggle, but when you do the pay is retro-active.

Good luck!

Department of Verterns Affairs

Hi gnd1947, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Welcome GND1947!
Glad you joined the party here.

:hello: 1947

Sorry to hear about the Potato Salad episode
but nonetheless you can obtain the paperwork
from the Department of Veteran Affairs and they will be
of further assistance to you. If you are unable to
do so, the Epilepsy Foundation can provide you assistance as
well.

Glad to have you here at CWE!

there was scar tissue showing a VERY old injury to the brain, on the MRI, CT, and EEG. when they asked me when it had happened, with a straight face, i had to tell them the potato salad story. the incident at the time, left me with retro-grade amnesia for about 6 weeks. the story just keeps getting better eh?
susanne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom