3 day EEG!?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi
I post a month or so ago.

I was having periods of zoning out/blake stare, as told to me by family and friends.

I have a 20 EEG, that showed spikes in the left parietal lobe.

Well, next week I am scheduled for a 3 day, at home EEG. I am just curious if anyone has had this and what I am to expect. Any and all advise is appreciated.

How do I sleep with all that on my head? or bath? or dress?

Hello my daisy gal~!

Yes I had one a few years ago and now my present neurologist wants me to have it done in the hospital as its more accurate he says. I know they try to make you have a seizure in the hospital..with sleep deprivation and hyperventilating.

At home.. they came to my home and placed the electrodes..and set up a camera on my dresser. I was to try and stay in front of the camera (so stay in bed ) as much as possible. I see my MS neurologist who ordered it..and he said no one had read it yet.. so they had someone read it who is NOT an epileptologist..and said nothing showed. Then told me, NO you do not have seizures.

So.. the ONY thing I didnt like is that he placed an electrode so tight..on my forhead area..that I had a migraine. He had to come back and replace it less tight.

Good luck.. oh yea.. you push the button if you are having an aura.. or if someone lives with you and witnesses a seizure..they should push the button. IT tells the person who reads the EEG that there is a mark where they look for seizure activity by where you pushed the button.

Jan

Familar with EEG's

Years ago my son had a 24hr. EEG. The electrodes were placed on him out patient in the hospital and he was sent home with a fanny pack to hold the machine that recorded the seizure activity. This is different than video monitoring. The lady that had to stay in bed in her room was having the video monitoring as well as brain monitoring, it was recording what her body was doing when and if she had seizure activity. You can't shower because you can't get the electrodes wet. Good luck!!!

I recently had 3 day EEG in the hospital. They had me hyperventilate and flashed lights at me, nothing happended. I was not sleep deprived though. I only had one little event. Since checking out I have had several starting three days after leaving so you never know. The nurses said about fifty percent of people with or with out irregular brain waves just dont have a seizure for the camera. That does not mean your not having a seizures. Some people may need multiple tests, I think that is where I am at now. My wife siad I had three seizures in my sleep last night!

Hang in there and hopefully you will get some good reslults form the video EEG.

John Runer

thanks for the responses!

I don't think mine is a video EEG, just the Brain....but I am not completely sure.

I can't imagine going three days without a bath/shower!! My hair will be sooooooooooooooooo greasy!!! got to feel sorry for the person that has to take the electrodes off. haha!!

I will let you all know the outcome when I get results!

God Bless

All I have to contribute is oil. Use lots of oil, any kind, to help get the glue out of your hair after they take the electrodes off. Olive oil works, hot oil treatment works, mayoinaise works. Massage it into your scalp, then work the little glue parts with your fingers and more oil. Keep breaking it up until it comes out of your hair. it took me over an hour to get it all out. Then wash your hair and dry it. The stuff that looks like dandruff is the glue you didn't get out. Oil, massage, wash, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I had my eeg in the hospital, and had brought a scarf to put over my head. Vanity I guess. A couple of pretty scarves would be good for morale.

hey, i had a 24 hr 7 day eeg in the hospital with video monitoring, the let me and my roomie who was getting the same test done take baths, but NO HAIR WASHING! i felt like a scurv ball cuz i have thick hair and it gets greasy very very easily, 7 days without washing my hair, i washed it 12 times as soon as i got home. and when they are done, make sure you take endless's advice and work the glue out of your hair and scalp, beacuse if you just rip it off, it will hurt very bad for awhile. good luck hun, god bless

-
winnie

well, I got hooked up to the EEG yesterday and am at home, no video. I actually slept better then I thought I would. The gauge they wrapped around my head came off though.

Now, I really hope it shows something so I can get the treatment that I need. Boy, that sounds terrible, hoping that I have a seizure!

My dear I hear ya.. the gauze..it coming of.. and wanting some conclusive ANSWERS!! Did you have to push the event button though?

Keep us posted..

HUGS, Jan

yes...I meant gauze!

I do have an event button and log sheets to record what I am doing through out the day. I am not sure when to push the button.....because I do not have visible seizures....unless my family sees me 'zone out'.
I am sure my log sheet will mostly say computer (laptop) and TV. I sure am not going out looking like this!

yes...I meant gauze!

I do have an event button and log sheets to record what I am doing through out the day. I am not sure when to push the button.....because I do not have visible seizures....unless my family sees me 'zone out'.
I am sure my log sheet will mostly say computer (laptop) and TV. I sure am not going out looking like this!

So.. does your family PUSH the button when you "zone out"???
And I too do not know when I am having any CP's so dont think the hospital video EEG will find out much.

Take care.. let me know how you're doing ok?

Jan

To get the goo out use a wash cloth and pert plus.....no cond......hope all goes well!

amy....thanks for the tip. One more night and I get unhooked tomorrow at 4:00, I can't wait to wash this hair!!!

I am really worried that nothing will show up, because I have not have the night time waking with teeth clenched, and family has not seen me zone out...so this may have been done for nothing.

I hear ya Daisy..thats how I feel..get all this EEG testing done and it shows nothing. BUT my epi said that sometimes it can show things even though you dont have any seizure activity...so...here's HOPING you learn something

Jan

Jan,
when was your 3 day EEG finished? Have you gotten any results?
what do you mean it can still show something with no seizures? Do you know how long it takes to get results?

OH I had a 3 day EEG years ago..but awaiting my insurance approval for my inpatient 3-5 day video EEG.

Yes when I was in the hospital in March this year, I was having a regular EEG and just when I was falling asleep the resident MD came in and woke me up. Both my neurologist and my new Epi doc told me that EEG was just starting to show a "slowing" or abnormal reading. I thought I was only resting.

So maybe..just maybe you'll get some kind of abnormal waves/spikes in spite of no obvious seizures...and..sometimes you just dont get ANY abnormal readings.

Whenever your doc gets the report from whoever READS the EEG. It can be read as soon as some doc READS it !! Unless YOUR doc will read it himself.

Jan

Not doing a 3 day but went in and got hooked up for my 24 hr ambi yesterday. That glue pulled at my hair all day and all night...I did not get a good nights sleep at all :( Just waiting for my mom to show up so I can go get the darn thing taken off. Don't think I had anything of note happen yesterday...just one little twitch, lol. Doc was hoping to catch one of my simple partials, looks liek that might be the closest thing she will get.

Hope you get your results back quick Daisy...the waiting to find out is the worse part of the whole mess.

72 hr EEG

Daisy, I had the 72hr EEG, with video. It was uncomfortable but not bad considering the other things we go through. I did bath (I know a no-no) with the electric unit velcroed succerly on a near cabinet. Funny was I had to go to court with that mess all on. Set off all the security stuff but I brought the doctor order with me. I just went on with my normal activities. People at the Target stared, but who cares. If they dont like it dont look. You'll be fine. Cake (sorry for the spelling)

cake.....did your 72 hr show anything? did you know that you had a seizure during that time?
I see my neuro on wednesday....so not too long to wait.

Back
Top Bottom