a question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jefraf

New
Reaction score
Hi: I recently had my first two seizures while asleep. My tests were normal but my neurologist put me on keppra. He said that my symptoms were clearly those of seizures, especially the ictal yelp. I have looked everywhere to see what this means but can't find any information. Anybody know what an ictal yelp is? Thanks for your help.

It looks like yelp is close enough to type. Perhaps he meant by that your seizures are epileptic, and not from any other neurological condition?

Hi jefraf,

Ictal means involuntary movement and unawareness like when a person blanks out during the seizure and their body
is jerking around. Type in Ictal seizures and you will get a good detail of what it means.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

thanks for your answers. I might be that yelp is a typo. I'll speak to my doctor in a few months and will ask him. I did have an ictal seizure and that is probably what he meant.

I can clarify the usage of the word a bit if it helps.

pre-ictal means the time before a seizure. This is also before the aura if you have that. This may present with changes on an EEG that show 'risk behaviour' and some people might start feeling just a little confused here. This period can be very short.

ictal means during the seizure. This is self explanatory

post-ictal means the time after a seizure, usually also a time of recovery. EEG wise, this usually is a time of generalized or localized slowing of brain waves and disrupted normal waves and 'chatter'.

inter-ictal means the time where someone isn't having seizures. During this time there may be certain clues as to if someone has epilepsy or not. this is usually where people get EEG's done and sometimes have small spikes, but some/many people may not have any activity here.

Cheers,
Anna

thanks for your answers. I might be that yelp is a typo. I'll speak to my doctor in a few months and will ask him. I did have an ictal seizure and that is probably what he meant.

"Ictal yelp" or "yell" refers to the "scream" that someone having a seizure makes right at the start. It's not a real scream, but a sharp intake of breath -- it's the body sending oxygen to the brain to protect it when the seizure starts.

For a CWE thread about this see

Back
Top Bottom