[News] A revolution in Diagnosing Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I found this thru FB today.

WEMU: A revolution in epilepsy monitoring and diagnosis

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wemu-a-revolution-in-epilepsy-monitoring-and-diagnosis

We believe that the WEMU has the potential to increase diagnostic yield, help doctors obtain a quicker diagnosis (just a few days in some cases), allow for more accurate drug selection and dosing which is crucial to patients, and could avoid brain development problems in children when enough information to select the right drug is currently not available. Long term home monitoring can also help understand an individual’s evolution in reaction to a specific treatment and the conditions leading to higher risk of seizures.

It looks it combines monitoring stuff with fitness apps that store and send health-related data. I can see how distance monitoring of epilepsy might be helpful in managing treatment. But it's not clear to me how the monitoring technology that they describe would really lead to better diagnosis in the first place.
Smart clothing with biometric sensors : a body module (shirt) and a head module (hat) with biometric sensors collecting data through electric signals such as heart activity (electrocardiogram), muscle contraction (electromyogram) and brain activity (electroencephalogram). We use patented dry-sensor technology in combination with flexible electronic circuitry embedded into fabric and powered by lightweight rechargeable battery to create a unique easy-to-wear, comfortable to wear, long-term monitoring system.

They will need a lot of people to try it to see if it works. Am I right or wrong?

Technology is the wave of the future.

In theory it sounds great. But there are a lot of things they need to test. Types of problems that could arise: weather conditions, hackers, viruses, cellphones, etc.

It looks more comfortable for say an EEG at home than the current systems I have seen and worn with all the wires and paste. I would much rather wear a hat and a shirt looks like you could go about daily life with more ease. Looks like I could even go to work with that going on. No one would even know the monitoring was even happening.

Tina

Back
Top Bottom