Abnormal EEG but no seizures (yet)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am so worried. I got an EEG done a few weeks ago and the results came back abnormal with generalized spike/wave discharges. But here's the catch... I've never had a seizure before and have no history of seizures. My neurologist said that she won't diagnose me with Epilepsy until I start having recurrent seizures. I am going for another EEG and she said if it comes back abnormal, she is going to medicate me! I don't understand how she could medicate me to treat symptoms that I don't have. Is this even legal? There's no telling if I'll even develop Epilepsy.

Welcome angela_evrard

Have you told the neurologist that you'd much rather wait until you develop seizures before medicating yourself?

I would also ask what are the benefits of medicating for avoidance as opposed to waiting until seizures develop and why would they want to medicate "just in case". Do remind him/her that it's you that has to deal with the possibility of side-effects.

That's my opinion on the matter. See what everyone else has to say & remember that you can always change neurologists if they don't acknowledge your concerns.

Thank you for your quick reply! I appreciate it! I just feel like she isn't really listening to me. She said that it is for "preventative measures", but I heard that being put on drugs can really mess up your brain, especially if you are asymptomatic for seizures. I am in the Army Reserves and I really wouldn't want this to show up on my records, especially since this is disqualifying. Maybe I should try switching Neurologists.

You don't have to take medication -- that's absolutely your choice, not something that can be imposed on you by the neurologist. Do make sure you are clear on why the neurologist thinks it is a good idea, so that you can make an informed decision.

Why did you have the EEG in the first place? If you were having unexplained symptoms, those might also be seizures, though not the kind that involve loss of consciousness. If so, that could be one reason why the neurologist would recommend medication. (Sometimes untreated seizures can progress from one kind to another).

I hope the second EEG makes your decision clearer one way or another.

Best,
Nakamova

I have to admit that many of the side-effects would not be that great, especially if you're in the military.

Like I said, I would explain why I think it's not appropriate & see if she can give a good reason that might change my mind. Some doctors just don't like to explain themselves but if she just has no reason then changing neurologists would be what I would do.

When I get up from laying down I get really dizzy and I went to my pediatric doctor and he ordered the tests. I got an EKG and EEG done same day. My EKG was slightly abnormal showing an arrhythmia (which most likely explains the blood pressure drop I experience when I get up too fast).

My inclination would be to hold off on medication, given the absence of symptoms, and despite the positive EEG. But keeping in mind that you might be vulnerable to some sort of seizure activity, it can't hurt to stay on the moderate side of things. Be proactive about your overall health, and do your best to avoid excessive alcohol/caffeine/stress, etc.

When I get up from laying down I get really dizzy and I went to my pediatric doctor and he ordered the tests. I got an EKG and EEG done same day. My EKG was slightly abnormal showing an arrhythmia (which most likely explains the blood pressure drop I experience when I get up too fast).

I am hoping the dr. did a CBC also. Are the dizzy episodes occurring in the mornings? Did the dr. check your blood sugar levels, too? If you blood sugar is low, that can cause dizziness and a rapid drop in blood pressure, too.

Also, as Nakamova said, avoid the caffeine, alcohol, etc. as they play a role in the blood sugar and health.

No it only happens if I have been sedentary for a long time. I eat healthy and avoid caffeine and I can't drink because I'm a minor :p Thank you for replying everyone. I will try to tell my doctor that as of now medication will not be very beneficial to me being as there are no symptoms to treat. CBC came back clear of everything haha, so my blood is good. I may or may not develop seizures in my future, no one knows for sure. I just don't want to be medicated for something that isn't there just yet :3

Back
Top Bottom