Absence and grand mals

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Khodges

New
Reaction score
My son began having grand mals last year. He has been taking generic Keppra and has been gm seizure free. We just had a VEEG done and he is having absence seizures. Dr has prescribed ethosuximide for absence. Does anyone have experience using both meds? He is 8 years old. Initially- the dr spoke about just using etho and discontinuing levetiracetam-however, after I researched etho, I found etho only treats absence. I called dr and she said to keep him on both meds. (My medication instructions said otherwise.) I think she forgot he has gm's. Does anyone know of any medication that could treat both types of seizures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think depakote does. Lamictal is a second line treatment for absence seizures and is newer than depakote.

The question would be whether his grand mals are primary or secondarily generalized because that would effect medication choice, but if he's already on keppra I think that means they suspect they are secondarily, so you could ask about trying Lamictal as mono therapy or just adding it or adding depakote to the keppra.

Etho is supposed to be good for absence seizures, but I'm unfamiliar with it bring contraindicated with keppra. No one on my family has taken etho, I only know it by reputation, but we've all taken the other drugs I've mentioned at some point. (A few of us have epilepsy.)

Thank you! I have been looking jnto that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom