Absence Seizures and me.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Courtney and I am new to this forum and seeking some advice. I am six weeks away from graduating with my BFA in photography in San Antonio, Texas. Five weeks ago I was leaving class and then the next thing I know I awoke to find teachers, students, and EMS around me because I had a Grand Mal seizure. It was the most confusing moment of my life. However, for a month prior to present day I believe I may be experiencing Absence seizures, formerly known as Petit Mal seizures. Roughly every hour for 10-30 seconds I can not understand anything I hear or read. I can't communicate or understand what someone is telling me. I have no health insurance and my biggest concern is that I will start interviewing for jobs soon and that it will happen in the middle of an interview and I will look like an idiot. Any advice helps. I don't know what else to do. I've done a lot of internet research which I know isn't the best idea but most sites just discuss them in children, as it's rare in adults. Thank you.

Welcome to this site!

Actually, those sound more like simple partial seizures to me. My understanding of an absence seizure is that you are not aware of the seizure while it is happening, but simply lose a small amount of time. If a person has an absence seizure while they are speaking, they will simply pause for a short time and then resume without realizing anything has happened. It sounds like you are having an alteration in your perception and your ability to communicate, but you are aware that the episode is happening, which is consistent with a focal seizure which effects a small part of your brain.

I am so sorry that you have no insurance. You need to see a neurologist ASAP - as you experienced, focal seizures can generalize, and that can be very dangerous. Most epilepsy is very treatable, but you do need to go in and get it figured out. They will do an EEG to see if they can tell what type of seizure you are having. The medications for absence seizures are different than the ones that work for focal seizures, so it is important to try to figure out what is going on.

Best of luck as you start this journey!

Welcome Courtney!

I'm sorry you're having this problem but you've come to the right place for support and advice.
You absolutely have to see a neurologist and get a diagnosis and start treatment. Your experience is pretty much a mirror image of mine. I am completely controlled by medication with no seizures for 4 years. Please do whatever is necessary to see a neurologist and get treatment. The sooner you do this the better the outcome will be and you can move on with your life. Take control.
Best of luck as you begin your career and welcome to CWE.

Cindy

Welcome CC,
Don't know where you live, but see if you can get insurance thru the Insurance Marketplace. It is open enrollment right now and the coverage will go into effect Jan 1.
I was also going to school and working a full time job when my seizures began, so I know what kind of pressure you are under. Luckily, I had insurance thru my employer but have since left them.
Hope you have some family or friends to help you thru this time.
Good Luck!
M

Back
Top Bottom