Accidentally taken Keppra dose twice!?

Dignan

Stalwart
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Anyone done this? I couldn't remember if I had taken my evening Keppra dose of 500mg, so I took it again. I am beginning to feel a little a dizzy.

Is this dangerous? I normally take 500mg twice a day, and now may have just taken 1000mg for my evening dose.

I may be panicking a little, so any reassurance is appreciated. I live alone, so can I just go to bed and everything will be okay in the morning, or do I need to call someone to come over?

Thanks.
 

valeriedl

Veteran
Moderator
Supporter
Messages
4,093
Reaction score
17
Points
193
I don't know if you keep your meds in a pill case or not? This way you will be able to know if you've taken the med or not.

I do keep mine in a case but there have been times that I've seen that there was still a pill in there that I never took it. I usually don't take it because my the time I've noticed it was still in there is a few hours after I take them and close to when I take my next dose.

There have been times where I think that I might have dropped a pill but can't find it, so I don't know if I'd taken it or not. I don't take another because I think it's better to take not enough than to take too much.

Depending on how bad you feel and if it would make you more comfortable then it probably wouldn't hurt to see if someone can come over.
 

Dignan

Stalwart
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Thanks for the quick reply. I called a pharmacist and seemed to think it would be okay. Its a 24 hour pharmacy and he even told me if I was nervous, I could set my alarm for 2 or 3 am and give him a call and he would talk to me and let me know how I sounded.

He said I might be groggier than usual and thirsty (never heard that before!) but that otherwise I should be fine.

I lost my old pill box and use a method where I switch the pill bottle into another cabinet after I've taken either the morning or evening dose, so usually if I'm unsure, I can check which cabinet and know if I took the dose or not. Tonight I guess I forgot to move it.

I seem to be okay, just a bit more slow witted, forgetful of what I'm doing tomorrow, and a little dizzy.

I know this sounds dumb, but I want to ask if you think there will be any permanent cognitive consequences of this mistake? Keppra makes me feel dumb enough as it is without adding more to the pile, so to speak..

I'm writing pretty well, I think, but I am having to focus to make sure I am writing coherent paragraphs.
 

JeffD

New
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm new to Keppra, only been on it a few days now. I use a pill calendar like valeriedl. It's worth the couple bucks for the sense of security.

From what I've read 1000mg is still a fairly small dose but everyone's experience seems to be different. I'm taking 1000mg twice daily. On the good side, the stuff is in and out of you system pretty quickly. Half life is 6 to 8 hours.

I agree, it wouldn't hurt to have someone over if you can... if just to calm your nerves.
 

Dignan

Stalwart
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Would either of you skip tomorrow mornings dose because of this? Right now, I'm not calling anyone to come over, since I usually stay up another couple of hours anyway. I figure I'll wait and see how I feel at that point.
 

JeffD

New
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I would not skip the next dose. Then you'd end up with a spike tonight but a low (opposite of spike) tomorrow.
 

JeffD

New
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Was going to add that you could also ask the pharmacist... but suspect he'll say the same thing.
 

Dignan

Stalwart
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Points
86
FYI.. called a different pharmacist to confirm and he said to skip the morning dose!

That doesn't sound right. The original guy said take the dose but maybe take a little later than usual...

any other effects I need to watch out for if this is going to be a problem?
 
Last edited:

rich956

New
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
Points
0
If you think that you might have taken too much , Its advisable to call your local poison control center. They have the proper info of what to do ... the amount you said you took should be of no real concern unless you start having bad results.All pharmacies will say something different, they are on the web also. try to stay calm . the thing about keppra is that it goes in fast and out fast ..if your next dose is near or in the morning I might take it. best of wishes
.
 

N Sperlo

Veteran
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
0
Points
161
I was on 1000 mg of Keppra and accidentally doubled up. That's 2000 mg for those not mathmatically inclined. ;) I called a doctor right away. They'll want to know exactly what you're on, but assuming you aren't on anything else, a tired and dizzy day is expected. Always call the doctor if you accidentally take too much. My dosage was recently increased to 2000 mg.
 

Dignan

Stalwart
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Just an update. It's morning now and I feel pretty good. The only strange thing (and this could be all in my head) is, aside from feeling more dizzy than normal last night, I could have sworn that after a few hours my lower lip was a little numb or tingly feeling. It wasn't too bad, so I just went to sleep.

Don't really know for sure since I was a little nervous, but I'd say its still a little numb feeling. Anyone ever heard of that? And, how long before that goes away? Otherwise, I seem to be feeling pretty normal this morning.

Thanks to everyone for helping me calm down last night.
 

Dignan

Stalwart
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Points
86
No bite marks and that feeling started when I was wide awake last night. Didn't have any seizures or anything like that.
 

Cint

Veteran
Supporter
Messages
5,510
Reaction score
1
Points
193
Don't really know for sure since I was a little nervous, but I'd say its still a little numb feeling. Anyone ever heard of that? And, how long before that goes away? Otherwise, I seem to be feeling pretty normal this morning.
I take 3000 mgs. of Keppra on a daily basis and on occasion, I get that dumb feeling on my lower lip. But I also have Diabetes, so for me, that numbness is a symptom of low blood sugar. It goes away after I get something sweet to eat.

It should subside within a few hours, tho.
 
Top