Ahh My hair is falling out!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score

This Topic is for Discussion of AED
& HAIR LOSS

Besides Topamax and
Depakote/Depakene/Valporate

Which seems to be the common AED
of hair loss ...

I am curious ...

What other AED's have made your hair to
fall out and when did you notice
it such? Was it when the medication being
titrated upwards (increasing) or once at an
established level at a long period of time?

Years ago I was on Depakote and on a
moderate dosage but was on it for a very
short time and I experienced some hair loss
myself, but only after being on it for 3 mos.
Then my Neuro just titrated me off and left
me off of Depakote as he said I didn't really
need it. My (ex)husband was blaming my
hair loss at that time on 'stress'. But once
I was being titrated off of it, my hair loss
gradually stopped and was back to 'normal'.

For Stacy, it was definitely Depakote.

I was on Topamax for a while (don't ask how long-I have no sense of time)

My hair was falling out, but I thought it was because all the meds I was on were weighting down my hair. Hair does absorb meds-that is why you can test someone for illegal drug abuse by examining their hair.

Anyway, I cut off my waist length hair so it wouldn't fall out. Now I find out it probably was the Topamax (which my dr took me off of because it was making me crazy) I like my hair though. It had never been cut before in my life. (just trimmed)

Kerin

I was on Topamax for a while (don't ask how long-I have no sense of time)

My hair was falling out, but I thought it was because all the meds I was on were weighting down my hair. Hair does absorb meds-that is why you can test someone for illegal drug abuse by examining their hair.

Anyway, I cut off my waist length hair so it wouldn't fall out. Now I find out it probably was the Topamax (which my dr took me off of because it was making me crazy) I like my hair though. It had never been cut before in my life. (just trimmed)

Kerin

Ive lost some hair not much from using ephedrine a long time ago.. its starting to grow back now but seems to be taking forever... you cant really tell though because i ware a head band to hide it .... my hair started kinda falling out when i started taking keppra run my hands through my hair and a lot of hair in my hands .... I use hair color to be blond SO to rule that out I'm not going to be coloring my hair any longer :)

angel

mysoline, depkeine, topamax,

I bought a recipe from a site I found on EFA board to make my hair grow. I will know if it works in 2 weeks . Than will share it if it does.

Riva

I took Depakote for about 6 months and had a LOT of hair loss. Once I stopped the medication, my hair grew back in but was never as full. (old age creeping up I guess)

Now I am on a medication that not only causes hair loss but makes my fingernails fall off. :mad:

You need to take selenium for nails and hair it will help alot . As we will acupuntucture.

Riva

This is a common side effect of this medication. My Rheumatologist is very much aware and we watch to make sure the nails don't get worse. I have members on a RA site who have lost all their fingernails and hair on this med, so I consider myself very lucky.

I take very good care of my nails, even though I wear artificial ones. As long as I nourish the cuticals, the nail loss has stopped.

I use Sally Hanson Diamond Cuticle and Nail Creme. It's great!

43899b.jpg

On Depakote I had serious hair loss ~gulp~ loss of body hair that has never returned. I lost horrible patches of the hair on my head but that did return when I quit Depakote. All the weight I gained with that miserable stuff went away with no effort at all.

I've been on Topamax since it was introduced to public and after hideous weight loss have done OK. I haven't lost any hair (thank goodness) on it.

To all the pple that lost hair when my 2 weeks is up and if I see hairgrowth , I will post the herbal recipe to grow hair back.

Riva

herbal recipe to grow hair back.

To all the pple that lost hair when my 2 weeks is up and if I see hairgrowth , I will post the herbal recipe to grow hair back.

Riva

Im interested in the recipe riva:)" waiting patiently"

love angel

....and all these years I've been blaming my Dad !! I thought it was Genetics.:D

Tee Tees, :)

your puppy almost looks like a little saint bernard puppy

project19.jpg.w300h402.jpg

Benji's just under 9 years old on that picture. He's a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.....the funny thing is, he's epileptic too ! So I might be sending a few messages to the forum on his behalf.....lol

When I was on Topomax I noticed a bald spot in the back of my head. I stopped taking it because it also messed up my focus BUT it took away my migraines! Now I am on Keppra and I think my hair is getting a little thinner .

Hmmm, what

ones have caused hair loss for me?

Lamictal, Dilantin, Depakote, Keppra, Neurontin, there's one more, and I CANNOT remember what it is...

lamictal is actually making my hair thicker and more full. lets hope that lasts.

In my case, it was "generic" Lamictal. I posted frantically about this on the site quite a while back. Now, on brand name Lamictal my hair has grown back. It was just awful seeing strands of my hair everywhere. And washing my hair? Forget it.

My doctor also put me on suppliment vitamins. B-12, Biotin and Selinium.

Oh, Depakote also caused hair loss. One off it, my hair grew back very quickly.

Last edited:
My daughter on 500 keppra and MAD. Im not sure why, but shes losing tons of hair. I spoke to dr K and we are adding zinc. Not sure if that will help, but we will give it a shot.
WIll let you know any results.

joan*

Back
Top Bottom