alcohol cure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pete

New
Reaction score
Thanks for all replies to my previous topic, but how about a low level of alcohol in the blood stream?? I don"t mean get drunk, just two or three bottles spread through the day cos I"ve noticed I"ve not yet had sz"s when out drinking socially!! Has any one else noticed this?

You seem to be looking for a Leprechaun's pot of gold in self-destructive behaviors. It's not going to happen.

Alcohol messes with your brain chemistry, blood sugar, liver and hydration. It can interfere with medications too. Too much alcohol can induce seizures in otherwise "normal" people (ie. people with normally high seizure thresholds that would never have a seizure without extreme circumstances).

Gotta agree with Bernard. 2-3 bottles a day is not healthy for ANYBODY, but especially for those of us on meds.....Pete, just accept the fact that alcohol is not good for you.

Pete, in a polite way - find yourself another hobby bud.

I spent my teen years getting absolutely wrecked on the weekends, waking up the next day feeling terrible, actually making that 'next day' non-existent in my life, and I deeply regret that.

Please don't do the same as I did and look back in anger.

The question I ask myself is, did I wake up feeling rough because of the all-night-benders on alcohol, or did I have a major session of seizures during my 'sleep deprivation' ?.....who knows ?.....but what a waste

You know everyone is different when it comes to E. Some cannot tolerate a drop. The only thing I drink is wine and only a glass about once or twice a year...but for some that is too much. I guess you need to weigh the importance of having a drink vs having a seizure.

Clearly not a politicaly correct question ;-)

Well I did talk about it with my GP Wendnesday, his answer was quite clear. For people with epilepsy crisis drinking is asking for a seizure. Not a good news for me either.

On the other hand it depends on the person, since no two persons metabolism react the same way at any given time and it changes over time.

Some will tell you that 1-2 drink a day is self destructive others, like a French doctor I consulted, will say that it depends on what you drink. In the end its your decision, your brain, and you will have to deal with the results.

Cheers,

Thanks for your replies. I must have come over wrong. I only refer to a small amount of beer. A couple of bottles = approx 1.5 pints. This spread thru the day would"nt even be noticed. I"m not the type to go on a binge, or maybe I should to lighten up!! Surely a few weeks trial to see what happens is not going to do that much harm!

Thanks for your replies. I must have come over wrong. I only refer to a small amount of beer. A couple of bottles = approx 1.5 pints. This spread thru the day would"nt even be noticed. I"m not the type to go on a binge, or maybe I should to lighten up!! Surely a few weeks trial to see what happens is not going to do that much harm!

I doubt it if it WILL do that much harm, to be fair, and like others have put - each person has there own tolerance levels towards things like alcohol.

My only question would be, why do you feel the need to have alcoholic drinks spread throughout the day in the first place ? <scratching head>.....maybe there's something lying deeper beneath the surface that I'm not aware off ?

Thinking on the scientific aspect of your question, because I am surely talking alcohol down for my teenage daughter as her friends are expeimenting.

Alcohol turns into sugar in the body, from what I understand. You say you don't have seizures when you have alcohol in your system. Could you possibly be hypoglycemic?
Low blood sugar? Any glucose tolerance tests done on you?

I recently learned the hard way that alcohol epilepsy and medication do not mix. I only had a few and didn't feel affected by the alcohol but I paid dearly the next day. Vomited for 8 hours straight, couldn't keep water or medication down and spent the whole time between my vomiting freaking out that I was going to have a seizure because I couldn't take my medicine. Thankfully I didn't but I will definitely not be repeating the episode, the few drinks were not worth what I went through the next day.

I learned a very long time ago that alcohol and meds don't mix. That was when it almost killed me.

I think we have to distinguish between low-levels of alcohol and binge-drinking. No one would argue that taking large amounts of alcohol would be harmful with epilepsy, but we're not talking about that. Pete raised a very valid point, he has observed decreased seizures with low amounts of alcohol and that's what's important. I too would be worried about being constantly under the influence but when you think about it, what he's suggesting is not much different from taking Keppra twice a day, and possibly less harmful.

I agree Walsh, that is why it made me question about the blood sugar balance of the system. Maybe he has found a key to his episodes. Not saying a couple beers druing the day is the best route to take, but watching sugar intake in general such as the LGIT might make a huge difference for him.

Thanks everyone for all your replies, please note I dont feel the need for alcohol just the need for a cure.

On wikipedia you can read that the straight man in Gianni & Pinotto (ehem.. you say Abbott & Costello) was epileptic and tried to control epilepsy with alcohol.. but he had no other chance in that time. Not good for you, but I doubt, after years in wich I do not drink a single beer, that a single beer, aniway, will trigger a seizure ...uhm...

Thanks everyone for all your replies, please note I dont feel the need for alcohol just the need for a cure.

Then the answer for you my friend is to seek advice from a Doctor, and not the bottom of a bottle.

What will happen when your body's tolerance level changes, and those 3 a day aren't having any effect ?......do we up the 'dosage' ?.....and if so, how far do you go until your life becomes dependant upon alcohol ?

I'm just pointing these things out as I don't want you taking the long slippery road to becoming someone who is dependant on something that will only cause more damage and misery long-term.

I could

not have said it any better myself, TT.

Pete, we are not here to judge you--we are simply trying to point out that in the long run there is another, possibly larger problem looming in front of you if you happen to become addicted to alcohol.........

Back
Top Bottom