Alternate medicine of Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trisrota

New
Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me to share in this site.
My husband (27yrs) was diagnosed to have seizure 4years ago.
He has been taking Keppra1000 on daily basis since then. But the problem is he suffers from constant and enless tireness, indifference and is always sleepy. He also has low sex drive which hampers our conjugal life. Is there any alternaye medicine of Keppra which has lesser side effects than these? Should he check his testoserone levels in blood? Please
help.
Tris

Hi Tris, welcome to CWE.

There are quite a few anti-seizure drugs available (such as Lamictal, Depakote, Neurontin, Vimpat, Dilantin, Tegretol, Trileptal). You and your husband should discuss options with his neurologist to see which med(s) would be appropriate to try, based on the kind of seizures he is having and any other concerns. If your husband's seizures are fully-controlled by the Keppra, another possibility to discuss with the doctor would be slightly reducing the dosage to see if the side effects decrease as well.

Best,
Nakamova

Thank you for you reply.
My husband is allergic to Valprid which he was initially prescribed. I hope ther must be other medicines that will suit him.

I'm thinking he should have his testosterone checked. It couldn't hurt. Also, he could have some depression. I was taking Keppra & it made me feel terrible, so my doctor switched me over to Topamax. I can't say anything about Topamax because I've only been taking it about a week.

I feel the same that he had depression. But no antidepressant was given to him. He continued Keppra thinking it has less side effects than other AEDs. It was taken as granted that the lack of energy,obesity and sleepyness is obvious with all AEDs like Keppra. Thankfully he is not having Kepprage.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

This is very interesting to me. I have had such side effects from keppra that my doc said i could try lamectal and i have been on that now (gradually up to 150 twice a day) after about a month I had 3 Tonic Clonics in 2 weeks (but we agree that it is most likely from other conditions like extremely high stress) but for safety they put me back on 500mg keppra at night time only. And still on lamectal. I found that the keppra killed my sex drive and ability. And, like now, i have bad rage attacks, on keppra. I find that magnesium at bed time helps a lot and zinc supplements mellow out the sex effects of the drug. Hope the best for you and let us know how it goes please.

Back
Top Bottom