Alternating Life Plans Due to Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Marty33

New
Reaction score
Greetings,
I already made a post that was somewhat similar to this, but figured this could get different responses. I am an 18 year old high school student in Minnesota. I was just accepted into the college I want to go to the most. I was not that happy with it, because I am not really interested in college right now. I have been really bored of school for about a year now. Not that I can't handle it or anything, it's just that school seems to keep going on and on, and I see college as four more years of that. I always wanted to be in the military, but I was, of course, disqualified for epilepsy. I figured I would go into the military for a few years then enroll in college, but now that's impossible. I've looked into different Service organizations, but they never really appealed to me as much as being a soldier. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Marty33

Congratulations on being accepted into college, that is a big achievement, ya school is boring but its worth it in the end. You have your whole life ahead of you yet and you need college even though its boring, the thing about asking this question is nobody can answer it except you, no matter what suggestion or idea is put in front of you only you can decide, you have looked through a few things at the moment which is good but did you ever consider something totally different to a service organisation.

You Can Do Other Things!

Marty33,

Getting a break from going to school everyday is still possible for you. It may not be intelligent for you to do something like the Peace Corps because you could end up too far away from getting the meds that you need. There are still other things you could do. You need to google 'things to do during gap years within the USA'. This kind of search can give you many ideas as to what you could do instead of entering the military.
I have known many people who have done what you want to do. Many have just taken a year of two off from school and taken a job. This could help you in the future with experience in the work force and this would show you the real importance of some things you may learn in the future instead of ignoring them while feeling they are unnecessary.
This is something that you can make for yourself! Use the internet and you can find many things that you could do during gap years! :clap:
Don't let one door being closed keep you from being the type of person you want to be!
The door to the military may be closing for you, but that means that you have to open another door that can lead you to something you would like to do. You can't let those doors remain closed. You have to have the initiative to move forward and NOT feel defeated.
Having E can put obstacles in your way, but you will find out how strong of a person you are when you show that you won't allow these obstacles to stop you from doing what you want to do, even if you have to do it in a different way because of your E!

acshuman

Last edited:
You can take the principles that would have made you a good soldier and apply them to the rest of your life

Honor, duty, service, when applied to how we treat ourselves, our families, friends, and other loved ones makes a great foundation for building a good person.

Improvise, adapt, overcome. When you are facing an obstacle that is between you and your future you go over, around, under or through the obstacle, do not just stare at it, the obstacle is meant to be defeated.

Redefine your goal based on what you can do and the opportunities given to you.

So the military is out, but college is still available, it's a fork in the road, one path is a dead end, the other has the potential for a bright future, I say go toward the light.

Last edited:
Hi Marty33,

Just like you I wanted to make a career in the military but my E. stopped me. I did decide to work in public school in Special Ed as a teacher aide and I found over time that
my E. helped me relate to students who had different neuro problems. I couldn't wait to get out of high school and I never thought of working in public school but take my word
it makes a big difference when you know all the answers to the problems.
If you still want to work with the military you should look into getting your ham radio license then you can hear what's going on in the military and if you want to you can get involved with the MARS (Military Ameteur Radio Service) which is when a solider gives a person a shout on the radio so they can get ahold of their family you can dial the soldiers phone number right over the radio and then the soldier talks to the family for free. It's all volunteer work but it makes me happy knowing I can help them out in any way possible. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom