Alternative Therapies for Epilepsy (book)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This month, Demos Medical published an excellent and practical book for anyone who is interested in the concept of complementary and alternative medicines (CAM) and their use for epilepsy treatment. ...

This book was authored by three well-known epileptologists including epilepsy therapy projects own Orrin Devinsky and Steven Schachter, in conjunction with Steve Pacia. ...

Devinsky and Schachter both are fairly prolific authors. They have both written several books.

IIRC, Devinsky has published a previous book on the subject of CAM therapies. Schachter is deeply involved in research on herbals/botanicals. I had a short conversation with him about neurofeedback, Andrews-Reiter and such a few years ago.

I haven't read the new book, but I suspect most of the info in it is already covered here in this forum or on the chart.

I just received this book in the mail last Friday. I still have not had a change to read it.

What prompted me to purchase the book was it examines alternative treatments for epilepsy through the eyes of the medical community (western doctors). Curious of their findings, I want to understand their views on what did and didn’t work and why. While I don’t always agree with western doctors, they are pragmatic with a science base.

Yes, that's why I was interested as well.

The chapter I wanted to read was the one on supplements (and also neurofeedback).

Interestingly enough, our neurologist is more open to supplements (like magnesium, omega 3, vitamins) than our new nutritionist (in whom I'm not especially confident), and the neurologist even recommended the GABA rice (his philosophy is, "It can't hurt, and it could help, so why not give it a try") -- I hadn't even heard of GABA rice, but one of his other patients had remarkable success.

Back
Top Bottom