Amino acids and reducing rate and length of tonic clonic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

sross2010

New
Reaction score
Having dealt with epilepsy for 10 years and trying several cocktails of medications . Including Tegretol, Depakote, keppra, neurotin, Topamax, kolonipin, and others. I decided it was time to give up on the medications.
This was spawned by the effects the medication had on my personality as well as thought process. Peaking with me jumping from a third story Window to avoid a conversation with my brother. A few with of these prescriptions succeeded in reducing my seizures, but also succeed in making me depressed or zombie like and indifferent to others or my own emotions.

Not being a physician I could not advise you to do the same a doctor is always a good consultant on these matters.

However, I made a choice that my quality of life was more important to me than the fear of my harmful seizures. I have tonic clonic seizures that reach status epilepticus, sometimes lasting hours. Then my wife started the search for a new approach. I tried several herbal supplements without success, most being completely garbage of having caffeine that actually aggregated the seizures. Then we found GABA, gaba is a precursor to several brain chemicals that your body can use to quell seizures as well as an agonist to receptors in thebrain known to cause seizures. Including the neonicotinoid (spell check ) and prolactin levels. I found that sometimes before having seizures I would not be able to reach orgasim or would not be sexually interested at all. It was not till later that I discovered the correlation between prolactin and sex drive, as well as prolactins effect on seizures.

To keep this from becoming a novel I will say that certain amino acids allow your brain to create or maintain levels of chemical equilibrium reducing seizures. I went several months without having them. That's down from 5 a week.

The amino acids I use can be found easily from multiple distributors and are more affordable than medications many much of the time. Costing only 50$ a month.

The cocktail I use is, In the order of importance. At least to what I have. Determined over the last two years are.

1. GABA
2. Tryptophan
3. Htp-5
4. Taurine

I've also found that melatonin can reduce the fatigue if I have night seizures

Back
Top Bottom