Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joey

New
Reaction score
Did You Know?

1.In old Ireland, epilepsy was known as "St. Paul's Disease". The apostle discreetly mentioned his epilepsy on several occasions. In the 2nd. letter to Corinthians (2, 7) he says "...to keep me from being puffed up with pride...I was given a painful physical ailment...to beat me and keep me from being proud." He again mentioned his ailment in Galatians 4, 13-14.

2.In the Middle Ages, Epilepsy was referred to as St. Vitus's Dance, not because St. Vitus had epilepsy but because people would dance in front of the statue of Saint Vitus on his feast day. This dancing developed almost into a mania. His connection with such "dancing" led to his patronage of dancers, and those with epilepsy supposedly because of the muscle jerking associated with tonic clonic epilepsy.

3.The first (on record in Canada) neurosurgical electrical stimulation procedure, as treatment for recurrent seizures was performed in 1909 in St. Anthony , Newfoundland and Labrador , Canada, by Dr. John Mason Little. Dr. Little came to the Labrador coast from Massachussets General Hospital in the summer of 1907. He worked out of St. Anthony until 1915. These procedures were usually preformed at major medical centres.

Wow,

Joey, I did NOT know about the St. Paul's Disease. I had heard about the other 2, but not St. Paul. How interesting! Thank you for the information!

Meetz
:rock:

Back
Top Bottom