Antipsychotics

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Itr786

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone one antipsychotic medication?

I'm on keppra and lamotrigine, but due to my struggles with what's believed to be really bad anxiety, a new consultant has said taking antipsychotics is a possible direction to go in.
I was more than a little shocked at that, but he did emphasis the drug is used to treat anxiety and depression, and not just for people with psychotic issues.

I'm taking sertraline, but it's not had any affect with helping me.

What's people opinion on this?

Hi Itr786,

If I were in your place I would get a second opinion I took Keppra and lamotrigine in the past and take my word the Keppra gave me a
wicked temper and the lamotrigine caused me to break out with a rash.
I've found the fewer meds I'm on the better off I am so if I were in your place I wouldn't take any antipsychotics. I was taught yrs. ago that depression is all part of the epilepsy and depending on the area of the brain that is triggering seizures anxiety can sometimes can cause problems
also. What has really helped me more than anything in the past 40 yrs. is when my Epileptologist told me to start using cbd oil (med. marijuana)
since then I've had the least amount of seizures in my life and I'm much more relaxed and calm. If you are interested in it check out healthy hemp oil.com what I like about this company is if you get the cbd and you don't like it you can get your money back within 90 days. I use the mouth spray Also as crazy as it may sound I've found that taking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar that has mother in it has reduced my seizures to the lowest in my life. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Sertraline is a well known anti-depressant, i know my little brother was on it a while ago when he had a bad bout with mental health and depression. It took some playing around with the dosage to find the right one, but it did help him and he's since stopped taking it as things have improved. My older brother is on Quitiapine (apologies, i don't know the spelling for that one) for depression and psychotic tendencies and it works well for him. He has to be exact about what time he takes it and can't miss a dosage, but he's a totally different person to what he was before it. He's able to get on with things and carry on with life, which he was struggling with before.

Don't be ashamed or embarrassed to take drugs for your mental health, it's just as important as physical health. If you need the medication then take it, and just like with epilepsy drugs, you may need to try different ones or different dosages to find what is right for you.

Wishing you all the best

Hello, I used to have the WORST anxiety, so bad all I anted to do was race and run as fast as I could. Mix that with some temporal lobe epilepsy and you get a cocktail of severe agitation.....long story cut short I was put on Seroquel (Quietiapine). It took me several months to actually accept to take an anti-psychotic (I was already taking an SSRI and an epilepsy medication) but that seemed too far for me.
It was a tough few months but trust me, it was the best dicision I'd ever made.

was on keppra for bit, but the side effects are not worth, and it is much worse if i ever miss a dose, not one wants me running through the neighborhood singing to myself naked. only to roll into someone and just order some food like it is ok,

Back
Top Bottom