Any other synesthetes out there?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't have it, but I find it really interesting. Does it add a good layer to your life, like seeing the world in 4D? Or does it make things hard for you?

Kinda. There are so many different forms of it.

To help myself think out larger thoughts I can make myself visually see them. Like if I want to know if 7 weeks from now what the friday date is I can visually see a calendar ring. Or same with the past. 9 fridays ago was what date? I just have to look.

I'd say I'm more empathetic because if I see pain I feel pain. That make sense? I saw the movie 'the perfect storm' and the guy gets a hook in his hand and when I saw that my hand instantly had incredible pain. It ached for days. That was my first encounter with it and have had it ever since.

I don't have it, but I find it really interesting. Does it add a good layer to your life, like seeing the world in 4D? Or does it make things hard for you?

I like it. It's a beautiful part of my life. It does make math hard, though, because the colors don't match. :/ I have a hard time explaining that to teachers, though! :roflmao:

I'd say I'm more empathetic because if I see pain I feel pain. That make sense? I saw the movie 'the perfect storm' and the guy gets a hook in his hand and when I saw that my hand instantly had incredible pain. It ached for days. That was my first encounter with it and have had it ever since.

I have that, but to a lesser degree. I can't stand to watch movies like Saw because it physically hurts me to watch them.

Very interesting subject. I had no idea it existed - can't recall ever having this type of perception.

Very interesting subject. I had no idea it existed - can't recall ever having this type of perception.

Most people don't know it exists. I know I didn't know it existed until I was about 13 or 14 because I thought it was normal.

You might like the book "The Memory Artists" by Jeffrey Moore. It's fiction, but it's main character has synesthesia and hypermnesia. I read and enjoyed it a few years ago.

You might like the book "The Memory Artists" by Jeffrey Moore. It's fiction, but it's main character has synesthesia and hypermnesia. I read and enjoyed it a few years ago.

Awesome. I shall have to look that up. Thanks!

I have it, but I think I might have a really rare case, because I can smell colors, and I don't know anyone else that can.

Oh! There's another good synesthete book: A Mango-Shaped Space. My sister told me to read it, and I loved it.

I have recently discovered that I have synesthesia as well. I have always had it I guess but I just thought everyone felt the same way until I was talking about the colors during a seizure. When I am feeling emotions I also see/feel colors. Certain emotions have colors that go along with them and they have their own personalities/genders. I feel/see these colors at varying levels all the time. If I am feeling an emotion a little bit the color/s are not as vibrant and the same with the feelings. But if I am super emotional the colors/feelings can sometimes be overwhelming. I have had panic attacks before because I was so emotional if felt as if the color and feeling were taking over. I like having synesthesia but it also can be pretty scary sometimes if I can't keep my emotions in check.

I have hearing/color synesthesia too. It is strongly connected to emotions and shape. I also find it to be a beautiful part of my life. I didn't realize I had it until I started taking Keppra for my Epilepsy. Music looks completely different, it has no more shape or very little and no color. Everything looks disgustingly yellow and almost transparent (as if it's not real).

I am currently working on my Master's and focusing on color perception as a possible diagnostic tool for neurological disorders. I am wondering if anyone here has any distinct color issues that they think could be tested with color overlays?

I think I have it, but a minor case. I took a test online once and it said I most likely didn't, but I definitely unconsciously assign colors to certain words, but not all words.
But also, certain words are a certain color in my mind because they're words for object that are usually a certain color, like when I hear or write the word "leaves", I see the color green or orange, depending on the time of year. If someone says "fuzz" I get a picture in my head of white fuzz.
I think in pictures, though, which I didn't realize until a few years ago is not the way most people think.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, even more now. Had it forever but now it's way intense.

When my epilepsy was especially bad years ago, I assigned one strong emotion to everything I heard. So everything was furious and hateful and evil--the hum of a fridge, music, clattering keys on a keyboard, everything. My psychiatrist took that to mean I was hearing voices and having psychotic episodes but I still don't think she understands what was actually happening. Nor do I. It doesn't seem consistent with synesthesia because then I'd presumably associate different emotions with different sounds.

One things that drives me nuts even sick ,it way Americans do the date I not bring myself to give example.i have to look at whether last post says today or yesterday.i not got clue the date last post I won't look.i get feeling in my arms travels to shoulders makes me knees knock I know that bizarre if told doctor I be committed

Back
Top Bottom