Anybody have this type of Noc Sz?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
I rarely get nocturnal seizures, when I do it's usually a sign of stress or something being wrong.

Usually they just wake me up in the middle of the night, I mark down the time I had it to keep record & go back to sleep. Recently though (like last night) I'll get them just as I'm almost asleep. I"ll start to drift off then a seizure will start. I'll either open my eyes which will stop it or just focus on where I am & that sometimes stops it. The neurologist has no clue what to do & like many neuros before him says that I have to learn to live with it.

Has anyone else had this type of sz when falling asleep?

For me,

this is hard to answer, as my t/c's happen at any time during my sleep cycle, and I really don't have a way to stop them. I wish I knew what to tell you...

Thanks Meetz

I appreciate the thought.

Oddly enough I don't feel too tired but I'm somewhat moody today. I'm also having a bit of trouble focusing and putting my thoughts into words (not uncommon for me, especially when I'm fatigued).

When I first started having CP seizures (and had NO idea what was happening) they all happened very soon after I went to sleep. That's they ONLY time they happened ... until they started happening several times the same night.

I've had to live with nocturnal seizures all in my life,
and in a way, "YES", you would have to learn to live
with it if they (Neurologist or Epileptologist) are unable
to deal with it. Much of the time, I do not even realize
I even had one until I wake up in the morning, just like
I did this morning; wounded this time on my right side
on my upper thigh and my elbow area. HOW? I'm 100%
clueless.

I sleep in a very large bed and very careful to sleep in
the middle, in fact, my son who does check on me when
he can - makes sure the pillows are on the side so I do
not bang myself against the wall. And as for the furniture,
they are moved away from the bed, so I'm clueless, I could
have had a CP and wandered about (which has
happened before - and it's not 'nightwalking' or 'sleepwalking').

One of the key signs in knowing I had a seizure or seizures
at night is how I am reacting in the morning, as it were
this morning - all out of sync, totally in disarray and
disorganized, and nearly in a state of confusion. My son
had to stay with me (he had an appointment with his
Doctor today) and made sure I took my meds and did
monitor me for a bit, and lead me to sit, but I wasn't
"all there" which was worrying him. It took hours for
me to get all back to normal (gradual process).

And yes, there have been several times I had been
woken up in middle of the night - and whether it was
during the seizure or after, that I do not know, but
there have been witnesses who have seen it (likewise
when I have had naps as well, it's happened).

Not necessarily "stress related", even the sudden
change of the atmospheric conditions can have an
impact; and this seems to be the case and issue on
my end here - going from HOT to CHILLY so
quickly, as well as barometric conditions, and so much
more can be involved.

So by all means, do keep a note/ledger/journal/dairy,
and if this occurs again, you'll have a record of this to
let your Neurologist / Epileptologist know - and if there's
a pattern, the Doctor would be able to determine it.

Thanks Brain, it's always re-assuring to know I'm not the only one going through something like this. Actually your seizures sound like they're more severe than what I get.

As for keeping track of them I keep a pad & paper in the headboard so I can mark down the time the seizure woke me before going back to sleep.

E.

I have myoclonic seizures at night. Under stress or my period. They wake me up. A lot of people have them when they are just waking or going to sleep. Mine are in deep sleep. I have the t/c's in my sleep sometimes to. Both make me tired in the morning.Because you really don't get a full nights rest. I take lorazepam for nocturnal seizures.

Back
Top Bottom