Anyone with PVNH?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

salsa-mad

New
Reaction score
Hi! I’m new here. I’m 32 and was diagnosed with TLE in 2008 secondary to periventricular nodular heterotopia (PVNH) and a sub-arachnoid cyst the size of a ping-pong ball! It’s amazing how much you don’t know about your own body until you put it in an MRI.

I have enrolled in a genetic study on PVNH because not a lot is known about it, but because it is rare, it hasn’t really been studied... basically I have bits of brain in the wrong places which interferes with neural pathways or something. I’ve heard it’s universally fatal in males, so yay for being a girl! Unfortunately I have been told this type of epilepsy will never be 100% controlled, but I am so far four months seizure free! (My longest stretch was 363 days. I know, right??) I’m currently on Lamotrigine and Zonisamide.

Anyway, I’m glad I found this place. Just wanted to say hi and look forward to reading some of your stories.

Kimberley x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Kimberley, welcome to CWE! Make yourself at home. :)

I don't know offhand if any members have PVNH, hopefully if there are any they'll respond. A recent member was diagnosed with grey matter heterotopia by several doctors, but then her newest neuro said that she doesn't have it. Go figure!

Congrats on being seizure-free! That's awesome. Many all your days be seizure-free :)

Hi Kimberley,
I don't post on the forums much these days but felt compelled to when I saw your introductory post because I, too, have a couple of rare genetic issues. So from someone who can relate to this aspect of the medical world, a big hello and welcome to you :)

Back
Top Bottom