Arms trembling - nocturnal seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chel

New
Reaction score
Last year when my nocturnal seizures were uncontrolled, I was waking up gasping, sitting up and throwing my arms forward (as if returning from death), and very restless. We seemed to have those under control.

Recently something a bit different has been happening. I'm waking during the night with both arms (and hands, I think) trembling. I also wake flat on my back when this happens, which is unusual for me, as I prefer sleeping on my side.

I'm also very reluctant to get out of bed (want to sleep more).

Does this sound like I'm coming out of a seizure, when I wake up?

The trembling and arm movements are often symptoms of nocturnal seizures, especially those associated with Frontal Lobe Epilepsy. The gasping you mention could be connected with sleep apnea which can also affect sleep and/or trigger seizures.

Thanks Nak.

I had a sleep study done in August last year, by which time I'd identified my main food trigger and removed it from my diet. I was already sleeping better, so while I woke nearly 20 times, they found no evidence of sleep apnoea. I also went into REM sleep 3 times in 8 hours, so they were happy that I got enough sleep (which actually totalled something like 5 hours, which I don't consider adequate, but there ya go!).

That was all pre-E diagnosis. Interesting that the arm trembling is mostly frontal lobe epilepsy. My symptoms are changing constantly (will this condition ever leave me alone???), so I'll look up what else occurs with FLE. All of my brain damage is in my temporal lobes.

I'm getting a lot of jerks lately, including a few episodes (as in an hour at a time) with uncontrolled calling out "ow". This migraine has back for a week, which is unusual, since it's been under control for a year. Woe, woe, woe *wink* Would just like to get to the bottom of it.

I have

nocturnal FLE, and I used to wake up in much the same manner as what you just described. That was prior to eliminating my food issues. Once I did that, the meds took control of it, and I do well with control. I don't sleep much anyway unless I take melatonin, because I have a pineal cyst in my brain.

I have nocturnal seizures and usually my legs tremble. I feel like I am being electrocuted....................just awful. So far the Keppra seems to work in keeping it under control.:e:

Back
Top Bottom