Aspirin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi,
My new doc wants to add some form of aspirin to my meds. She says it would make blood circulation in the brain better. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Alice

Aspirin can help to prevent clot-based strokes, but it doesn’t change the viscosity or flow rate of blood, and it won’t make the blood circulation in your brain better.

Aspirin has anti-inflammatory and anti-clotting effects, so it can help if you have existing heart disease and/or are at risk for a heart attack or strokes. But if you are generally healthy, aspirin won't provide any particular benefit, and it does bring some risks as well (associated with bleeding).

Hi Alice,

I know when my Grandmother had heart problems her Dr. told her to take 1 aspirin a day to help her blood circulate do the hardening of the arteries. I have read that if a person has heart problems it can sometimes lead to more seizures for some people do to the lack of blood flow. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

If you have heart disease, aspirin can help prevent clots, but it won't affect the flow of blood.

In addition to epilepsy, I also have Type 1 Diabetes so my endocrinologist wants me to take a baby aspirin daily for the very reason Nak mentioned. Plus stroke runs in my family; my father had a stroke and my mother has had several mini-strokes. Aspirin acts as a blood-thinner, so in the long run, it could cause bad stomach problems and/or bleeding in the brain. One needs supervision if they take it daily.

Back
Top Bottom