Atkins vs Low Carb

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
I have been truly pondering this issue lately, as I see a lot of talk on other neuro sites (mainly ASD, but also seizure related, and PDD, and chronic illnesses).
I see often that the Atkins Diet is used in place of the Ketogenic diet, mainly since it is much more user friendly. I see that the Atkins diet is in the news.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071220172129.htm
Yet... is it really the Atkins diet that is successful? Or is it the fact that the diet is very low in carbs. By carbs I mean refined. The low carbs is what is being highly recommended by many to heal the intestinal tract, to allow the body to then absorb all those yummy nutrients we all so need.

Yet, I dont' know about you, but I am addicted to carbs. It tends to be true that our body screams for that which it needs, and all that gut flora and fauna needs the carbs. We do need to retrain it to want the healthy carbs (veggies).

I just don't see the big deal with the Atkins diet. I don't think there needs to be a name to any of it. I think the carb business plays into all of the dietary talk. Even to what DogtorJ has helped us to understand. Take the refined carbs out of the diet and heal. This in turn will heal neurological functioning, hormonal imbalances, stress disorders, anxiety disorders.

Too bad there isn't a rehab spa for all of us that need to withdraw from our carbs.... Govt funded of course.

Last edited:
If you look at the results of the studies on the Modified Atkins and Low Glycemic Index (LGIT) from my chart, you will see that the results were very similar.

Back
Top Bottom