Auras in nocturnal seizures

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone know what/how auras manifest in nocturnal seizures? I think I may have just had an aura but it could have just been from waking from a dream too. Basically in my dream there was this mold like substance and anytime I would touch it I would start to black out and curl my body outward even in my dream and then I woke up right before I almost completely got taken over and was fine.

I'm wondering because this seems like maybe it has happened before but I am not sure.

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Res,
I had to have a sleep study done and my Dr. found out I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning. If you feel more tired than usual after sleeping a good nights sleep and maybe have a headache or seem a little out of it. You may want to go in for a sleep study. I had to have an e.e.g. and e.k.g. at the same time during the study. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
Auras can present similarly to the way they do when you're awake -- they can be sensory (auditory/visual/tactile disturbances) and they can include motor components as well. Especially with nocturnal seizures there can be co-occurring or causal sleep apnea, so if you think that may be a factor it's worth getting tested.

But unless you are being monitored it can be tough to confirm a nocturnal aura, because of the resemblance to dreams or parasomnias (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasomnia_)