• Most of the time

Votes: 50 39.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • Never

Votes: 16 12.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well, to

tell you the truth, I know of quite a few people that DO have auras. I, however, DO NOT. Wish I did, particularly before the t/c's, but then again, all my seizures are in my sleep, so that's kind of hard anyway....makes it kind of hard to WANT to go to sleep at night.

my seizures do not appear til i go to sleep. seizure free for over six years now! I think i have experienced auras but am not certain if they are authentic auras or just high anxiety which can produce some pretty weird feelings in and of itself.

I have lost my train of thought, and had strange sensations travel through my body, and have the opposite of dejavu. My environment will seem unfamiliar to me. I will say that since I lost my job in May, we have been on a tight budget, while under loads of stress, BUT I have not experienced aura type feelings. This leads me to believe that not going out to eat (rarely) has helped me neurologically. Can you say MSG??

I used to have an aura almost all the time, but when i got onto lamotrigine, they stopped. even at the small dose i am on now.

I have them before my tonic-clonics which have been controlled for a long time.

Remember though that the aura is a seizure itself. They may precurse something else or be alone, but they are seizures. My Neuro wants me to be aura free. That is what he terms controlled.

:( I did have a pretty strong one last Sunday while shopping.

For the longest time I wished I had auras so that I had a "heads up" before going "head down". But the more I read the less appealing it sounds.

Sometimes I appreciate the warning, but it's never a fun event.

I had one on the way to work this morning. The auras I have either make me feel deja vu or fear. This one was like impending doom, even though logically I know nothing is seriously wrong. I'm still feeling strange trying to concentrate at work.

One thing I never like are these feelings that the seizures make/cause.

I feel nauseous like I have the flu. Its the suck because I can't tell which prior to a petit mal episode of which a grand mal will follow.

I usually don't. However, one time before a grand mal I did have an auditory aura, I heard a loud machine-like noise that got gradually louder and lasted for under 10 seconds before I got thrown into a seizure.

For me I have long *** auras, disconcerting as they are. (As I mentioned I feel like I have a flu.) Man epilepsy/seizures can get depressing.

aura

I may or may not have mentioned this before-since I can not remember, I'll mention it anyway. (that was long)

I had my first T/C at age 11 right after I started periods. I used to hear a choir/music at night mostly. Don't remember any auditory hallucinations aside from that. Not sure if they ever came back after wards, it was as though my brain was gearing up for that first seizure.

I think my acting out as a teenager was more than the normal teenage rebellion. I remember thinking there was something tragically wrong with me - a result of the weirdness I felt.

It was 1969, and I tried to tell my Mother about it, and she brushed me off. My parents were in shock about the T/C, they could not handle me bringing up the subject of imaginary choirs, or feeling weird.:ponder:

Mine are really icky - just as icky as the seizure or more so. It physically feels like a bad chord in my head - kinda clashes. Plus a feeling that something is really, really wrong. A feeling of forboding. It can last a few minutes before a seizure, or hours.

I don't always recognize when I'm having one. As big and horrible as they can be, I trained myself for years to ignore them, before there was an explanation for them. When it gets to the point where I can't ignore it any more, I know not to make decisions, have important conversations, write any emails, etc. until it goes away. If I do I usually end up make something really bad happen.

I agree with you totally PF. Auras sound awful, but someway of knowing I'm about to go A$$ over teakettle would be appriciated! And probably prevent some of the more interesting injuries I've given myself over the years.

my Seizures freak me out espeically my grand mal ones because I have no warning and I wake up on the floor with no idea how i got there.

I remeber once I was about 14yrs ond I was helping to put up the Christmas tree and I was holding a christmas ball with the pointy hooks I went into a grand-mal seizure and woke up with a very deep scratch on my glasses:paperbag:

Im just thankful I was wearing my glasses

The first time my daughter had a seizure, we were at a hotel and she complained of being tired. She held her nose to go under water in the pool and we nearly lost her, because we didn't know she had a problem. The second one, she later recalled a metallic taste and nausea, and being very chilled. The third one she had just woken up from a nap so was presumably tired, but forgot half the day. Last time, she said she got a metallic taste again but only for a split second and fell while standing. I'm talking T/C incidents here. She's been good about alerting me to lots of things, and I think she has auras pretty frequently--deja vu, etc.

Here's a weird thing--I noticed just immediately following a couple of her T/Cs, her lips are very pale with pink splotches. A few mornings that I've had trouble getting her out of bed, I've seen it again. Makes me wonder if she's having them in her sleep? I put a sound monitor in there and I'm a very light sleeper but I've only noticed her cry out a yelp before one seizure, so not sure what else I'd hear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom