B6

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My son has been started on Keppra, and we have been at 3 mg for about 3 weeks now with one small partial seizure, at least that we are aware of, his seizures are all nocturnal, thus far. He has had behavioral side effects from the Keppra so he has been taken B6, my question is regarding dosage. From what I can find on line, he is close to the max adult dose, he is taking 100 mg's per day. Does anybody give B6 to their child and if so how much? We are doing what we are told but I feel we are overdosing him and although I respect his neurologist I don't want to believe all somebody says, she is human too! Thanks for the help.

Just remember that some adverse effects occur over the long-term so knowing that other people use large dosages may not mean it's harmless.

According to Wikipedia it is only B6 in supplement form that have caused problems, not foods rich in B6.

Adverse effects have only been documented from vitamin B6 supplements and never from food sources.

Apparently the dosage your neurologist used was what the FDA in the US suggest.

The tolerable upper limit has been set by the US FDA at 100 mg/day in 2000.[20] The nutrient reference values in Australia and New Zealand recommend an upper limit of 50 mg a day in adults.

Check the link part way down under "toxicity"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6#Toxicity

Last edited:
Just wanted to share this with you all: http://faculty.washington.edu/sgospe/pyridoxine/research.html

(Pyridoxine = vitamin B6)

As far as I know form the results of a genetic test, I have an atypical form of Pyridoxine-Dependent seizures. I have been prescribed B6 for just over 40 years to treat my RARE type of epilepsy. I also use a multi B complex tablet. In my lifetime I have had two unsuccessful trials of AEDs and therefore I have never used any Anti-epileptic Drugs with my B vitamins to treat my seizures (including Status Epilepticus). In total (including the B6 within my B Complex) I now use 400 mg/day of B6. I had my first seizure when I was two weeks old. My Paed. at that time administered B6 when I was just five month old, after he was given instructions to do so from a Professor who was doing research into childhood epilepsy.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards

Andy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom