Blurry Vision

Do you suffer from blurry vision due to E or meds?

• No.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Yes, my vision is blurry all over

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Yes, my vision is blurry around the edges only

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Yes, but it can be corrected with glasses

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Yes, but it's different than blurry - it looks more like I'm seeing under water

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Yes, and I'm getting black spots where I'm losing my vision. OR I have lost my sight completely

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • No.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Do you suffer from blurry vision? If so, what kind?

mine is blurry around the edges. the opthamologist says my eyes are fine, but it is getting worse. my epi is a bit worried about it and keeps sending me back to the opthamologist.

I want to add that my vision is blurry, but not all day long. It varies throughout the day.

Yes, add me to the list of those whose vision is blurry off and on during the day. The worst is when I wake up, sometimes takes a while before I can focus at all. Glasses make it possible to read, etc., but sometimes I wonder what's going on. I've been tested for glaucoma many times since my optic nerves are asymetrical though pressure is ok, but does not show anything.

Endless I sure hope your vision does not worsen.

Yup, blurry all over and on and off through the day. even while wearing my glasses.

Blurry sometimes like someone spread Vaseline on my eyes.
Sometime my vision is very sharp, sometimes a bit blurry, reading glasses just make me dizzy and nauseous.

I want to add that my vision is blurry, but not all day long. It varies throughout the day.

Same here. Usually goes blurry for a few minutes, then rights itself. I wear prescription glasses, so this is outside my known vision problem.

My eyes seem to have gotten worse since I started Vimpat. I'm due another eye test in April, so I'll find out then how its affected me. I think I need new glasses anyway. My vision also varies during the day.

I am not going to add to the poll, but I will add here that Rebecca had terrible vision problems with her first med, Tegretol. Nothing showed up with the other three we tried.

Hi, Indiandairy.

Everybody - it is surprising the heck out of me that the majority of people in here have vision issues due to E or their meds. Why don't they tell us about this? "They" being our docs. Wondering how much of this is the meds, and whether it is permanent.

Rebecca's doctor (at the time) told me he did not think it was related to the meds. Attempted to tell me that it was seizure activity. Duh.... due to the meds.

After that particular med was cleared from her system, she never had vision issues again.

Recently we went to get her vision checked, because she said she was having problems seeing the board at school. She checked out "almost" 20/20... so she has a cute pair of glasses when she feels she needs them.

I answered Yes, however it is a good possibility that mine is due to age. It got much worse after starting Lamictal, but I am also in my late 40s and it is close up that is blurry. Distance vision is still fine, so I think the timing with the Lamictal is coincidence.

I too have been getting blurring in one or the other eye. It is intermittent and varies in durration but happening more frequently. Doc seems to think migraine and so added another med?? Just had an eye exam in December no glaucoma so we...wait and see...no pun intended, ok, pun was worth it:pfft:

Mine occurs when I try to focus on something for too long or if I'm walking around. It's like motion sickness or something :(

And it's due to the phenytoin I'm on.

Last edited:
I already wear glasses, but my meds have made it worse. When I was on Lamictal in the past I noticed it after several months. When I was on Tegratol earlier this year, it only took a week or two before I had trouble reading even WITH my glasses. (ANd I can't afford new glasses)

Now I've been back on Lamictal for about 8 weeks, and I've noticed it getting bad again.

While I was unmedicated this summer though, I could tell that it's just time for new lenses.

Now I've been back on Lamictal for about 8 weeks, and I've noticed it getting bad again.
Yes, this is my main complaint about Lamictal, and the reason why I might consider tapering down or off of it at some point.

Back
Top Bottom