Bovine Matrix mesh- what is the name of this product?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

PixiDust

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
As stated above, I underwent brain surgery, well actually crainitomy, but when they (Abbot Northwest Hospital) decided to take off the temporarily implanted EEG grid, they used a Bovine Matrix which is supposed to help the brain repair it's self after the surgery/crainiotomy. My brain rejected it, leaving me with meningitis, or in other words my brain swelled to the point where I had the conscious of a 2 year old. Of course, I am now back to my 29 year old self and have a Bachelors, but I am wondering- has anyone else had this same reaction or know of it happening to others? More importantly, who is the maker of this product? My family is up in arms about this atrocity, so does anyone have answer for us?

- well behaved women rarely make history

Was the material used called "Duragen"? If so, it's made by a company called Integra. I think Integra is the major manufacturer in the U.S., so they're the most likely source. You can read about the material and the company here: http://www.integralife.com/index.as...e=Duraplasty&ProductLineID=28&PA=neurosurgeon

(For those who were wondering: The matrix is used for "duraplasty" -- a kind of skin graft used for the brain while it's healing. The graft doesn't use stitches and it eventually dissolves. The matrix for it can be human, bovine, even equine.)

Thank You Nakamova,
No, I do not remember the name of the Brand/Material but Abbot should have it in their records. But it sounds right!

Back
Top Bottom