[Info] Brainwaves and Music

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wouldn't that be cool? Something like a VNS or DBS system. Except this would pulse some music to relax the brain during possible seizure activity.

There is a whole series of "brain training" CDs for sale on Amazon by a guy named Dr. Jeffrey Thomas, both a neurologist and a musician.

The Delta Sleep ones are very helpful to me since my seizures are nocturnal to get to and maintain deep restful seizure free sleep.

AlohaBird, do you have the link?

I have heard that a part of the Neurofeedback experience involves music.

Cint, I really enjoyed the article.

That's why Speber made his music Auditotium on the forum. He saw the connection between the two.

I know music calms my seizures down.

Cint, I really enjoyed the article.

That's why Speber made his music Auditotium on the forum. He saw the connection between the two.

Ah yes, Speber, don't you miss his music?

Cint, I really miss his music. Shelley is still on the forum.

Spencer (Speber) and Shelley were good friends. You might be able to get his music from Shelley or Bernard. It's still in the forum. Shelley was trying to help my Parkinson's through Speber's Auditorium. it didn't work though. I guess my brain is to messed up. Not from the Epilepsy but from my Parkinson's.

I love calm soothing music.

I found an article, "Music may help people with epilepsy." http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/11/music-may-help-people-with-epilepsy/

The team collected data from 21 epilepsy patients recording their brainwave patterns while they listened to a randomized pattern of silence and music. Mozart's Sonata in D Major, Andante Movement II and John Coltrane's rendition of My Favorite Things.

Last edited:
How would the world be without music?

Music and dance therapy is being used for kids and there's also benefits for kids with special needs.
Generally?
I think music has the power to express and provide "feel good" endorphins that make most of us feel relaxed. Music has more power than words .
If I put on music that I know I like or my girl likes I only have to see her smile to know I'm doing something right for her.

It's sometimes those little things make a big deal.
I may not be a fan of classical music, but it certainly does provide some calmness effect..especially if you've been put on hold on the phone...
:)

Last edited:
How would the world be without music?

Much more misarable than it is already. lol

I think music has the power to express and provide "feel good" endorphins that make most of us feel relaxed.

Exactly!! :)

Music has more power than words.

I think it's a tie. Sometimes the music has a nice rhythm or beat. Other times it could be the lyrics that have a strong connection. But often lyrics & music fit so perfectly, it's scary. But it's all good. :)

I may not be a fan of classical music, but it certainly does provide some calmness effect..especially if you've been put on hold on the phone...
:)

It doesn't need to be classical music to help. Whatever music that you can listen to, can help. It all depends on what you are listening for.

For example when I was getting ready for my RTLS last year, I had a special set list. I listened to this for the entire month prior leading up to the morning before the surgery. The set list was a mix of Alter Bridge, CREED, Scott Stapp. This music helped to calm my nerves, and relaxed my thoughts. Along with the support I got here at CWE.

Everyone enjoys some kind of music. The real problem is finding out what music keeps our brains working flawless. :)

Music does have more power than words. Even docs use music in the ORs while performing surgeries. They say it is good for kids to take some kind of music lessons while growing up because it expands their academic achievement and their memory. That is why I had both my kids in band while in school. Plus piano lessons, although my son on hated piano.

saw interview with a man who taken lsd he had a trip where he said saw colours that not in our spectrum he said amazing he came off the drugs and years later he went to classical music show in open air in Egypt half way through he had same trip he had years before when on lsd..He said that music brought something incredible out he felt so well for days

Hi seagull, welcome to CWE. This forum was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I am glad that you are a music lover. I think most everyone in the forum loves music.

Good on you Bigman for working out the music that prepares you for your challenges in the hospital stuff.

All my kids love the latest pop stuff, they all enjoy dancing.
My girls fave instrument is the harp, the school she attends does a brilliant weekly music therapy that promotes the kids to use different instruments. We have a organ at home and she plays most stuff in tune yet she is has no sheet music to follow.
Just something that makes her day ..and mine.

Another thing music does is soothes emotions in premature babies so they can gain the weight they need. And, it lessens the pain for some:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/156262-the-effects-of-sound-in-the-human-brain/

Emotions

Music impacts the part of the brain that controls the link between sound, memories and emotion, the medial prefrontal cortex, says the National Institutes of Health. Listening to music can soothe the emotions. A study published in the December 2009 journal Pediatrics found that premature babies demonstrated an increased rate of weight gain when they were exposed to music by Mozart. The music soothed the babies, reducing their resting energy expenditure. Researchers speculate that the weight gain seen in premature babies who are exposed to Mozart results from this lower energy expenditure.

In May 2006, the Journal of Advanced Nursing reported that people who listen to music experience less pain and lower levels of depression and disability related to pain than those who don't listen to music. This indicates that music can effect the brain by lifting the mood and alleviating the perception of pain.

Interesting article, Ruth.

A quote from it : "Essentially, the brains of people with epilepsy are more prone to tap along to tunes."

I have always thought this was the case with me but I didn't realize that it could have anything to do with epilepsy.

I have always been "in tune with" music. I am very aware of music around me even background "musak" at the grocery store that some people don't even notice.

When I wake up in the morning, there is generally a song going through my head that stays there the whole day unless I hear something else to displace it. (Today Diana Ross' "Touch Me In The Morning" is the song of the day. No idea why. I haven't heard it in years.)

I remember when I realized that not everybody can actually hear music in their heads. I can hear all four choir parts of a piece I did with my church choir ten years ago in my head simultaneously. I think I was in my 30s before I realized that this was not typical.

Can other CWE peeps hear music in their heads too?

Last edited:
I can!! I never understood why but it's great. I know I have always loved music. I cannot play a harp or a piano but I love the music.

Back
Top Bottom