CA DMV vs. Nocturnal-only seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nc123

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question. My 20 year old son has had 4 nocturnal only seizures in the past year and we are still in the diagnostic process. He is the picture of health otherwise. An overzealous ER doctor submitted him to DMV last year and he has not driven since but we are finding more every day that this is absolutely not necessary and is seriously impacting my sons future. Another doctor, a GP, was an idiot and filled out the dmv forms with incorrect information and won't fix it now stating that is what we get for asking him to fill them out. Yes, a medical board complaint is in the works. My son was without a neuro at the time and the new neuro is taking his time. So we went to the State Hearing and the DMV hearing officer was nothing short of an a**, rude and unprofessional. Of course they sustained their action and I read that they usually don't overturn it anyway so, we have to file a Writ of Mandate in our local court. Hiring an attorney is not an option for us. Does anyone know of any websites in regard to help with this and good medical websites on nocturnal seizures with info we can use? Or any info on how to win this battle against CA DMV? Thank you for any help you can give us. :)

The epilepsy society has a service with free legal advice, if you think he was discriminated against because he has epilepsy.
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/advocacy/legal/attyreferral.cfm

What you have to do to get the DMV to reverse their decision depends on what state you live in. I think you live in California? Here're the laws about driving in each state:
http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/living/wellness/transportation/drivinglaws.cfm

It looks like California is a mandated reporting state, so the doctors may not have had a choice.

I googled "California DMV license suspention reversal" and I got a lot of info on reversal after a DUI, but not a medical condition.

I'm hoping the epilepsy association can help you. Contact your local chapter, too. They may be able to help.

Thank you Endless! I really appreciate the info. I will try contacting the foundation and I need to check to see if we have a local chapter. Really, his first one last year we weren't even sure that's what it was and it was in his sleep. I just think that ER doctor went too far, knowing what the huge consequences are being unable to overturn it.
Thank you again. :)

Back
Top Bottom