Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MMRocks

New
Reaction score
So my calcium levels have been different every time I get them checked. I have run Very Low (in the 4s) to Very High. Calcium regulates electrical signals- very related to heart function, muscles, and seizures.

Just started learning about the Parathyroid glands, their sole job is to regulate calcium. By regulate, I mean think of the parathyroids as a 'smart thermostat'- your body likes to have a steady supply (or 'temperature') of calcium, it wants it to be at the same number at all times, and that's the job they perform.

Since this is supposed to be the same supply, the same 'temperature', if the parathydoids malfunction, then calcium levels can fluctuate. They can fluctuate wildly and often, which can lead to: Depression, fatigue, body pain, muscle pain, weakness, kidney stones.

Also, since calcium balances with D, zinc, and magnesium, when the calcium fluctuates like this, it can (and will) throw off your levels of D, zinc, and magnesium. Domino effect. We already know magnesium's role in reducing seizure activity.

So I'm thinking this may be my missing puzzle piece. Pesticide exposure affects the parathyroids, and I had a huge pesticide exposure 22 years ago. (parathyroid issues can take time to develop) According to the doctor on parathyroid.com, all my labs point to this being the 'root cause', and it can be resolved with a 20 minute surgery. How awesome is that?

What would the surgery involve? Would you need to take any kind of thyroid medicine afterwards?

I would imagine removing one of the parathyroid.Out of intrest how you get pesticides attack I hope you sued

In majority of cases, parathyroid is malfunctioning due to benign tumor. So surgery involves removing tumor(s). There are 4 parathyroid glands, so there can be up to four, but that is rare. And no medication after! Surgery 100% IT.

Seagull, a pesticide truck overturned on freeway near my home. Only very recently did I learn, truck caught fire, and water was put on fire, making it way more dangerous, with larger coverage area. I am *trying* to sue, but running into a lot of brick walls. There's the time, 22 years, how that factors into statute of limitations, etc. I spend a lot of time trying to find a lawyer, and failing. No luck yet.

Don't have statute of limitations.that very famous lady I think Karen something has package to help people in your positions
I had partial thyroidectomy years ago and I actually have 4 parathyroid few days after op my body went really weird felt like falling down out of body they said my parathyroid was bit out of whack because of operation they gave me calcium within hours I felt better

MMRocks, let us know if/when you opt for surgery, and how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom