can abilify combined with zoloft cause epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

monjanse

New
Reaction score
can this medications together cause epilepsy?

i have a little dysfunction in my right temporal lobe.

Epilepsy is a disease (or disorder) caused by physical abnormalities in the brain. Certain medications, taken alone or with others, might cause seizures or lower the seizure threshold in a person, but would not actually cause epilepsy itself. If you think you might be prone to seizures you should definitely discuss that with your docs before taking any medications.

IIRC both if those drugs are usually used to aid in sleeping but sometimes cause pretty severe side- effects. If you're having any problems with them I'd contact the doctor ASAP.

can this medications together cause epilepsy?

Any SSRI combined with an anti-psychotic medication can certainly lower one's seizure threshold. But, depression/bipolar often accompany epilepsy and it is sometimes difficult to find the right drug combination to benefit both disorders.
Some of the same meds used for seizures are also used for bipolar disorder.

One thing I do know about anti-psychotic meds is that they can cause Diabetes, so beware. I was treated for depression with Zyprexz along with Zoloft, after trying many, many anti-depressants. It is also an anti-psychotic and it brought on Type 1 Diabetes. There is a Black Box warning now for these newer anti-psychotics.

http://www.rxlist.com/abilify-drug/warnings-precautions.htm#P
Metabolic Changes

Atypical antipsychotic drugs have been associated with metabolic changes that include hyperglycemia/diabetes mellitus, dyslipidemia, and body weight gain. While all drugs in the class have been shown to produce some metabolic changes, each drug has its own specific risk profile.

Last edited:
Was it abilify that was causing narcolepsy-like symptoms? I may be thinking of something else.

Ah. I remember abilify. They were doing a lot of advertising. I was thinking of something else, but abilify always stood out to me because the warnings on the commercial takes more time than the actual advertising. What doesn't these days. Now what drug was I thinking of?

Now what drug was I thinking of?

I have No idea. But I do know, like I said before, those anti-psychotic drugs are very powerful drugs and can cause more problems for some.

Please, everyone, don't be intimidated by your dr. and always ask questions when being prescribed a new med. Or ask you pharmacist--- they will tell you more than the dr. about a specific medication.

I was thinking of Ambien. :disco:

Pharmacists are usually willing to discuss drugs and their effects. I have A friend from high school that I like to call.

Back
Top Bottom