Can My Seizures Be Causing This?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I have been noticing lately that I have been forgetting the most simplest things.
I always had a little memory problems but it seeems to have gotten worse. Could my TC seizures be causeing this? I also know that there are many kinds of seizures that can cause this and people have been diagnosed with more then one type of seizure.
I haven't been diagnosed with epilepsy yet but I have been keeping reports and people have wrote reports for me witnessing my TC seizures. I go see a nureooligist in about a month. I have been to the hospital many time for these seizures and everyone thinks I m faking them and I also had a few EEGs and one Said that were epeleptic form activity and all the other ones were normal.

Yes, I am not sure what a tonic clonic is.... but a grand mal, I was joking with my Alaska Neuro saying one of these days I'd be Einstein and she said no I won't :/ Every seizure kills off a little more of the brain cells. :( I was joking, she was not.

Yes, I am not sure what a tonic clonic is.... but a grand mal, I was joking with my Alaska Neuro saying one of these days I'd be Einstein and she said no I won't :/ Every seizure kills off a little more of the brain cells. :( I was joking, she was not.

Ok, I don't understand:/

Each time I have a seizure, it kills brain cells, mine happen to be my short and long term memory :(

I had been joking with her, after one I would be smarter and she said it will never happen :( because the brain cells die and do not regenerate. I will never get "smarter".

After my very first seizure, which was about 9 years ago, I lost over 10 years of memory. Some things stayed up there, but not much. I didn't even know who the guy was that I had been dating at the time and dont' even remember dating him at all. Needless to say the relationship only lasted a few months after that seizure.

After that every time I had a seizure I'd forget what happened that day and usually things that happened days before hand. At that time I was having around 3 seizures a week. I very rarely have tonic clonics, but I have just about every other type.

Once my seizures got better under control, I'm having around 4 a month now, my memory has gotten better. It usually takes maybe 6 months before things start to fade out. I always laugh and say that there is no such thing as a repeat tv show for me. By the time the show comes on as a repeat I don't remember it from the first time I watched it.

Hopefully when you see the neurologist you can find out what's happening, they tend to know what to look for better than a regular dr does.. Sometimes things don't just pop out on a test and say "She's got epilepsy!" People don't realize that.

After my very first seizure, which was about 9 years ago, I lost over 10 years of memory. Some things stayed up there, but not much. I didn't even know who the guy was that I had been dating at the time and dont' even remember dating him at all. Needless to say the relationship only lasted a few months after that seizure.

After that every time I had a seizure I'd forget what happened that day and usually things that happened days before hand. At that time I was having around 3 seizures a week. I very rarely have tonic clonics, but I have just about every other type.

Once my seizures got better under control, I'm having around 4 a month now, my memory has gotten better. It usually takes maybe 6 months before things start to fade out. I always laugh and say that there is no such thing as a repeat tv show for me. By the time the show comes on as a repeat I don't remember it from the first time I watched it.

Hopefully when you see the neurologist you can find out what's happening, they tend to know what to look for better than a regular dr does.. Sometimes things don't just pop out on a test and say "She's got epilepsy!" People don't realize that.

What you mean some thing just don't pop out on tests? Can you please explain this to me. Becuase I have been having seizures for a long time now and I m just waiting for a doc to say I have epilepsy before they take me serious, but you made it sound like they wount.

I complained about short term memory loss to my neurologist and he was concerned...turns out I wasn't losing memory but rather having 15-30 simple partial seizures a day... so I was missing the information all together, not forgetting it.

Yes, I am not sure what a tonic clonic is.... but a grand mal,

A tonic clonic is the new definition of a grand mal seizure. And yes, after many seizures, brain cells die off causing memory loss.

I've had SP, CP and TC seizures for over 30 years and now have terrible memory loss. Like Valerie, I may see a show and when it is a re-run, I may not remember it. Sometimes just bits of shows I remember. I have a terrible time remembering people's names, dates, times, places, etc. Fortunately, I do remember people's faces. There is a form of epilepsy where some people do not remember or recognize other people whom they have met before.

My family doctor here in Arizona thinks this may be what is happening to me. I have had conversations (apparently) and have NO memory of them. At first my best friend thought it was funny, like I was joking, but then she realized, I wasn't :(

I complained about short term memory loss to my neurologist and he was concerned...turns out I wasn't losing memory but rather having 15-30 simple partial seizures a day... so I was missing the information all together, not forgetting it.

What you mean some thing just don't pop out on tests? Can you please explain this to me. Becuase I have been having seizures for a long time now and I m just waiting for a doc to say I have epilepsy before they take me serious, but you made it sound like they wount.

I'm really don't know too much about what tests are done, others probably do because they have talked about it in other threads. A neurologist just knows how to look for things that a regular doctor doesn't and even does different tests that a regular doctor doesn't.

About a year ago my grandma, who is in her 80's, started shaking at night in bed while she was asleep, not every night but quite frequently. She would wake my grandpap up because she was shaking so bad. My grandpap would try to wake her up but he couldn't, he thought she was having nightmares. When she did wake up she had no idea that she had been doing it. After she fell out of bed a few times when shaking they thought it was time to go see a dr.

The dr could only run so many tests because of her age, a pace maker and she has a hip replacement. They didn't think that it was epilepsy because it just started, and you don't get epilepsy when you are that old. After a few more months of still shaking shaking the dr suggested that she see a neurologist.

The neurologist could only do so many tests on her too because of the things that I said above, and I'm sorry but I don't remember what the tests were. After looking things over and asking her questions he was positive that she was having seizures and was almost positive that they she had epilepsy.

He put her on Keppra and the seizures stopped.

Back
Top Bottom