Can nicotine from second hand smoke cause seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was thinking the other day-

I wonder if Dr's or just people with epilepsy have ever questioned whether the Nicotine from second-hand smoke can cause seizures. Nicotine is a stimulant-and many stimulants are known to lower peoples' seizure thresholds.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Oddly enough, nicotine both stimulates and soothes the brain (one reason why it is so addictive). At low doses (as from short quick puffs), nicotine significantly ups the actions of norepinephrine and dopamine in the brain, acting like a psychostimulant. At higher doses (as from long slow puffs), nicotine enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity, resulting in a calming, pain-killing effect.

(Some studies have shown that this sedative effect from higher blood levels of nicotine can be used to help adults suffering from a particular kind of nocturnal frontal lobe epilepsy.)

Because of the way secondhand smoke is absorbed, it's unlikely that it would cause enough stimulation in the brain to cause a seizure, or that it would sedate the brain enough to prevent one. On the other hand, if you already have a low seizure threshold, or are extra-sensitive to smoke, it might be a stress that acts as contributing factor. At any rate, for many reasons it's best to avoid second hand smoke if at all possible!!

Best,
Nakamova

Second hand smoke contains a lot of carbon monoxide, which lowers your blood oxygen levels (which can be a seizure trigger).

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas contained in tobacco smoke. When you inhale carbon monoxide, it destroys oxygen molecules in your red blood cells. As the amount of carbon monoxide increases in your blood, the cells of the blood become starved for oxygen. One study shows that after only 30 minutes in a smoke-filled room, the carbon monoxide level in a nonsmoker's blood increases along with blood pressure and heart beat. Exposure to second-hand smoke causes increased risk for asthma and bronchitis, and new studies indicate heart disease as well.

https://www.sa.psu.edu/uhs/healthinformation/patientlibrary/health/secondhandsmoke.cfm

One of my auras is the smell of cigarette smoke. Being near someone who is smoking can trigger this aura. Luckily, where I live no smoking is allowed in restaurants.

Back
Top Bottom