Career with dog?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

edepew151

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Guess what! I'm getting a seizure alert dog! :woot: I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself! I'm so excited for the independence it will bring! Anyway, my parents said that when I get my dog they will feel better about my going off to college alone, and I wanted to know what careers are available to those with service dogs? I wanted to teach maybe, but I asked a woman at my church who founded a charter school if she would hire someone with a service dog and she said she would worry about the dog being a distraction to the students. Will schools really not hire me? Maybe if I taught high school? I also thought about working in a vet office, as a receptionist or something so my dog wouldn't bother the other animals. I'm really good at English, bad at math, and I love anything artistic. I'm very much a people-person, and enjoy getting up in front of people. I know allergies in the workplace can be a problem, so I don't really know where to start. What do you guys think? :ponder:

Wow, I think having a seizure alert dog is great!

As for a career, I would try to do what you love to do as that will make you happiest.
Knowing some of the potential complaints upfront helps because you know the issues you have to deal with and can address them with potential employers. So, for instance, if the dog lays down quietly while you are teaching it won't provide a big distraction.

And you can look into other careers also - there are so many things people do it is amazing.

Congratulations and good luck and you must show us pictures of your dog!

Back
Top Bottom