Cenobamate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

137Alice

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Haven't been here for some time and as usual return with a question. Anyone heard of cenobamate? Just read that it is used in the USA, but since i am now in Europe can't find much info on it. Would like to discuss it with my neuro next time i see her and would be grateful to hear from somebody who took it. Also interesting to hear from someone who ever took zonisamide.
Thanks in advance for any info
Alice

Cenobamate is very new in the U.S. -- approved last year, but still getting its official designation in March 2020 -- so probably not a lot of feedback yet (esp. given COVID may have cut back on neuro appointments). It looks like it targets partial seizures, and on average cuts the frequency by 30%. It works by blocking voltage-gated sodium channels, which is similar to meds such as Lamictal and Vimpat.

I took zonisamide for generalized seizures, but we were not a good match. :(
Its appetite-suppressant effect led to very sour stomach and low blood sugar for me. I had some cognitive and mood issues on it as well as some excessive hair loss, (all of which went away after I got off the med). I I lasted about 6 months on it, had a massive seizure just before I was going to ask my neuro to switch me onto something else.

It does work for some folks however. It's important to drink plenty of water while on it, especially if you're eating less due to appetite loss.

You can find additional patient feedback on zonisamide here: https://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=20789

Thanks, Nakamova, looks like not many folks have any info on Cenobamate. Will try to find more info on zonisamide.

It's a new med, so not many people have taken it in comparison with other meds; and only a fraction of the people taking older meds have cared to post feedback :)

Hello. I get simple & complex partials. I haven't heard of this new AED. I'm currently on Topiramate & Zonisamide--400mg/day of each, but I still get breakthrough seizures. I have tried almost every other AED out there. Some just didn't work, and others I was allergic to.

Hello. I get simple & complex partials. I haven't heard of this new AED. I'm currently on Topiramate & Zonisamide--400mg/day of each, but I still get breakthrough seizures. I have tried almost every other AED out there. Some just didn't work, and others I was allergic to.
It's important to seek the help of your doctor. We aren't doctors. :)

Back
Top Bottom