Cerebellar Atrophy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was just looking at the MRI report from my latest MRI and it says I have Cerebellar Atrophy. I've looked and looked on the internet and can't find anything on it...

Do any of you know anything about it?

Literophile,

I'm so very sorry about the report. Did your doctor discuss the results with you? Did he say how extensive it is? If it's mild, it may not be as concerning. Wait until you talk with your doctor before you jump to any conclusions, okay?

From what I'm reading online, it says that atrophy can cause seizures, and that seizures can cause atrophy. A chicken or the egg kind of thing.

Here's some info on cerebral atrophy:

From the NIH

Wikipedia

Here's the scoop: Cerebellar Atrophy is a general diagnosis not a specific one, since many things can cause it. It can be hereditary, or the result of disease or toxins. Potential causes: celiac disease, auto-immune disorders, lesions, alcohol abuse, and even long-term use of AEDs (especially Dilantin). The cerebellum primarily coordinates movement, so degeneration often shows up as difficulties with motor function and control, muscle tone, coordination and balance. But shrinkage of the cerebellum can also affect cognitive abilities and and emotions.

It''s is located in the rear/bottom of the brain, so maybe the atrophy is related the pituitary issues you've had? Definitely worth asking the doc about to see what they think is the cause, and if it's progressive.

I didn't talk to a neurologist about it, the doctor I talked to about that MRI was only looking at my pituitary gland.

Thanks for the links!

Nak: I don't think it was caused by meds because when I had my first MRI it showed up, and it was worse on this new MRI. What the report said was that the cerebellar atrophy was more significant than last time. I don't have the report on me right now, it's upstairs, but I can give you the full quote in the morning. I'm going to bring it up when I speak with my new neurologist.

Endless: Thanks for the info. I'll definitely do more research and then bring my research to my appointment. It's not til the 12th though. I asked my doctor to see if she could ask the neurologist to make it sooner and the doctor said she saw no reason to. :taz: My head hurts and I'm having seizures! What do you mean you see no reason to??

Last edited:
Here's what the report says:

"There is mild cerebellar atrophy, slightly more conspicuous than on the prior examination of 3/15/2010."

But the other MRI report didn't mention that, it only said:

"There is no evidence of masses, cortical dysplasia, gray matter heterotopia, or mesial temporal sclerosis."

Last edited:
Ask to talk to your neuro's nurse. Share the report results with her, how you are feeling, and ask for a sooner appointment. She has hidden superpowers that override his front staff's scheduling.

Ask to talk to your neuro's nurse. Share the report results with her, how you are feeling, and ask for a sooner appointment. She has hidden superpowers that override his front staff's scheduling.

I'll try, but I've never seen this neurologist, so the nurse may not be too willing to work with me. I can always hope. :?

Have either your old neurologist (not likely, I know) or your primary care doc call the new neuro's office and try to get your appointment moved up. That sometimes works.

I asked my primary care doctor already. She's the one who said she saw no reason to move it up.

I'll try calling the neurologist's nurse on Monday. My head's been killing me lately. Haven't had a seizure since the beginning of the month, though. Honestly, though, I'd rather have seizures than headaches. Of course, I only have partial seizures...

Oh, brother. Your doctors are just gems, aren't they? (note sarcastic tone in my voice)

Oh, yes. All of them. That's what comes of living in a small town--you get small-town doctors. >.>

Back
Top Bottom