Cognitive Behavioural Documentation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
Tomorrow eve I start with cognitive behavioural therapy. I do plan to keep track of what happens & how it helps or doesn't help me here to share with everyone else. First the required background.

My seizures are both complex & simple partials.

I've been on Mysoline, Dilantin, Tegretol, Valproic Acid, Keppra, Ativan & many more that I don't remember. My neurologist says I've been on all there is for my type of seizure.

It will last 8 sessions over 8 weeks.

According to the psychologist this type of therapy is a way of dealing with stresses that have built up that might trigger seizures. I do find that I have some stress due to previous life experiences (who doesn't?) so I'm hoping this helps.

I rarely have more than 1 seizure a day or nocturnal ones. Recently I've been having numerous ones throughout the night & more than 1 in a day, though I do get the odd few days off without any.

I have been very lucky because the going rate where I live is $150/visit. The epilepsy foundation where I live got a sponsor so it's costing me (& the others in my group) $150 for eight sessions.

I'll answer the other questions as I start the treatment & let you all know how things go.

That's awesome Eric. I'm looking forward to your feedback and hopeful for good results. :)

1st session

Today was basically an introduction to the course & people. It's a small group, only 5 of us total with people who seem easy to get along with. From what I've learned the sessions are more of a training program, not a support group. l do Think that's how something should be presented if it's to teach you skills to keep for daily life. I was thrilled that the facilitator told us that discussing this (while respecting the others privacy) is a good way to re-enforce what we learn so I look forward to posting here.

We then filled out a bunch of questions that seem to determine where we're at personally in our emotions, self perceptions & how responsible we feel (or how much responsibility we take) for our seizures & curing them as well as our overall quality of life. The sessions are 2 hours & I was surprised how quickly it went.

There is homework every time & the psychologist who facilitates it said some of the assignments are pretty big (drat!!)

Of course I will try to report in the 1st person as much as possible since we are asked to keep each others confidentiality & I do respect that. Meanwhile I just have to fill out one more questionnaire (there was a bunch) & that's all for now.

Something that struck me

When thinking about one of the questions I had to answer (hand in). The question was about the degree of frustration with myself re. the E. and/or medication.

What happened while answering other questions is that it looked to me like a question at the bottom of the page was only half a sentence. The guy beside me said it was on the next page but didn't see it because the questions are on alternating light then dark backgrounds & despite the first half of the question being on a light background the 2nd half on the next page was on a dark background. He pointed it out, I laughed & said thanks. No big deal. It really wasn't an issue but on the way home I was thinking about that incident & realized that if I'd done that on my own I'd have been much more frustrated with myself than I was in that group.

I also noticed that despite not feeling any stress over it at the time of the actual incident, I started thinking about it for some reason the next day (today) & was about to really beat myself up for it but stopped when realizing what I was about to do.

I'm hoping to break this cycle of thought patterns but it's interesting to see how I"m already noticing things just because I'm in the course.

Session 2

This was a pretty good session. The facilitator commented on how quickly the group "gelled". I do feel comfortable with everyone else & that seems to be how the others feel.

We reviewed our "homework" (which we don't have to hand in but keep for future reference) which was mostly questions to make us think about how we feel having seizures & what about them might make us uncomfortable & be aware of those things since they might come up later.

Then we were given ways to relax. The homework is to do 10 minutes of deep breathing twice a day, identify 10 things in our life that cause stress, & hand in a schedule of our seizures for the week (Hah! I've been doing that for that last year.) The facilitator said that the "real" CSN starts next session. Seeing how we've been made to identify problems, stress causes, & do relaxation breathing twice a day for the whole course makes me think it's going to be rather emotionally stressful but we'll see.

You are going to be an expert when you are done Eric. You will then be able to help each of us deal with stress better.

I am really glad that you are doing this for yourself. Awesome work.

I think

that this will prove to be so very helpful to you in the long run, Eric. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with it. Let us know how it turns out, OK?

Thanks guys, I'll be posting here every week about the time of the sessions so everyone will hear how it goes. It's after the 8 weeks that it'll be interesting to see how it helps in real life. Of course I'll keep you guys informed on that too.

It's a whole new world when you become self-aware of the filters and behavioral patterns that color and guide your routine reactions to life. Keep those updates coming. :)

It's a whole new world when you become self-aware of the filters and behavioral patterns that color and guide your routine reactions to life. Keep those updates coming. :)

It's that whole new world that I find very exciting.

3rd session

This is the start of the actual CBT. We were given a sheet & had to first name 1 problem, then state is as "I want to _________"

Then we had to break down the problem into smaller problems, choose one of the smaller problems & list the actions we could use to tackle that problem.

We each did 1 problem with the class & have 2 more to do for homework.

I have to check but I have a feeling I've done this before except I don't remember it being called cognitive behavioural therapy.

Something that's been bugging me

this week is when we did my problem the psychologist said "it probably won't work but give it a try".

I can't help but question if the CBT is worth anything. They said at the beginning how it is NOT a cure for E but might help stress & anger. Now I"m being told it probably won't do that so I have to wonder :ponder:.

I did print out the article that was posted on how CBT can help pseudoseizures to give to her though. I'd be curious to see what type of reaction I get.

Last edited:
Now that is a silly answer she gave you.
Positive energy is far more productive than negative energy. You will work harder toward that state of calm, if you are believing in positive results. There is proof that it works, just read Epilepsy: A New Approach. Zoe is also a good case result.

Perhaps they are require to say that for some legal reason.

Just found today though that 70%+ gluten sensitive children had abnormal EEGs after eating gluten. "Gut Feelings" ....

Doctors are quick to poo poo anything they haven't studied IMO.

4th session

Actually it's really only the 2nd session of CBT. I was right, I'd done this previously as part of a course that had a lot more to it & I don't remember it being called Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I was a bit upset at first but it seems to be something that I can use in my life right now so I don't mind redoing it.

This session we examined how our minds work & we jump to conclusions. The example given was if your boss got heartburn from lunch & frowns as s/he passes you. Your reaction is to wonder if s/he was thinking of you & wast the day wondering if you'd done something wrong, then wonder if you're going to get fired.

We did a few exercises to try & make us more aware of how we automatically judge ourselves. The exercises we were given focused on that and the way we often mis-think things. As well we were given a list of methods that our mind uses to get caught in that type of thinking such as jumping to assumptions, using a single event to arrive to a general conclusion or rule & many others.

I am trying to explain as much as possible but I also feel that people can gain the most from this if all the beans are not spilled so I apologise if I am being a bit vague at times.

This is what I was referring to on another thread when we discussed cyclical thoughts. When you just can not let a thought go, and you keep replaying it over and over again.

This is what I was referring to on another thread when we discussed cyclical thoughts. When you just can not let a thought go, and you keep replaying it over and over again.

This seems to be a good way of dealing with it. They keep stressing that it's not "positive thinking" where you try to tell yourself something just as unrealistic as the cyclical/false thought, just the opposite. They try try to impress on us that it is more "realistic" thinking. I tend to like that about this method of practice.

Self awareness allows you to stop reacting to the world. When you aren't following a programmed (patterned) response, you are free to take deliberate (conscious) actions.

Imho

Doctors are quick to poo poo anything they haven't studied IMO.

Doctors are quick to poo-poo anything that would cause them to leave their comfort zone. :twocents:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom