Communication Issues with Young Children

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
Sorry I have been gone for so long. Things have been a little crazy lately. My great news is that Kaylee will be 8 months sz free on Aug. 11. I know it's a few weeks away, but I can't help be hopeful. 8 months is her record so far, so we are really hoping and praying she makes it longer this time.
Anyway, I had a question for the other parents. We have been told that Kaylee is delayed in her speech and communication by at least a year. Her neuro told us that it is very common, but I was wondering if anyone else have experienced this and how long did it take to catch up. I hear other parents of three year olds talk and observe other kids too, and I want so badly for Kaylee to talk to me the way the other kids her age do. I get so angry and upset because I know its the epilepsy. I feel like it is robbing me of being able to communicate with my baby. I guess I just need some reassurance that she will get there someday.
God bless you all and hope all is well.
Leslie G. :banana:

... My great news is that Kaylee will be 8 months sz free on Aug. 11. ...

:woot:

Go Kaylee!

I don't have any any answers for your questions. I'm sure others will.

Does she understand what you say to her? If yes, that is the first step and she will catch up eventually. Have you tried baby sign language with her? I had my eldest daughter ( now 11) who had severe development delay she was diagnosed with epilepsy at 9, but we believe it's been going on for years before that. She communicated with signs until she was 5 1/2 when speech just burst from her. sign language can take away a lot of the frustration. Speech therapy may help also. She was also very delayed with her motor skills and even now she is 3 yrs behind in her english work at school and 5 years behind with her maths, but she is slowly catching up. She started to read 3 letter words when she was 8. She is in a mainstream school with extra support. She is just going up to secondary school in a few weeks. If your daughter can point to a picture in a book when you ask her to i.e. if you say point to the doggy and she does, then she will eventually get there. It just may take a little longer. Have you ever read the poem 'welcome to holland'? If not then PM me and I will send it to you, it's a brilliant poem.

I totally forgot about using sign language. We did that with our kids and they made up their own signs for things before they were verbal. It was really cool.

Rebecca was delayed. We began free speech classes in the local public school at the age of 3. She remained in speech until 5th grade. As a 3 and 4 yr old it was noticable, but as she grew it has not been noticable to any one else.

I remember wishing she would begin putting words together. She developed her own sign language, but of course I was the only one that knew what she was saying. Then over time as her chatter was increasing I remember reminding myself that there was a time I wanted to her talk. So occasionally we would play the "quiet game".

Surround Kaylee with loving people and try not to speak for her. Sometimes they use us as a crutch. Keep a record of her progress, and I bet you will see that over time, she is making leaps of progress. Just sometimes hard to see in the moment or as compared to others her age.

** I wanted to add something.... find other ways for her to communicate her feelings. Rebecca's was through dance. She excelled at it at a very young age. Art is another great place for them to find a "voice". Music too.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your personal stories and tips. Kaylee is in speech therapy, and deep down I know she will catch up. As you all know, it's just hard sometimes. We are going to the neuro tomorrow, and I am going to see if he suggests anything else we might do.
Thank you all again.
Leslie G.

and deep down I know she will catch up. As you all know, it's just hard sometimes.
Leslie G.

Yes Leslie, it is hard sometimes. As Rebecca begins her 12th grade of school, I look back, and my one suggestion would be to trust your instincts. If deep down inside you know she will catch up, most likely she will. She will not be at the head of the pack, but find her strengths and let her run with those. Don't put too much emphasis on what she can't do, but let her know she will do whatever she wants to, with patience and practice. That which comes too easy is not always appreciated.

I wouldn't suppose that the neurologist would not know of many options in age appropriate learning. Find wonderful people to surround Kaylee. Opportunities where she can excel, and the confidence that she can overcome obstacles. She will be an exceptional child, because she will "know".

Hugs to her.

Back
Top Bottom