[Research] Correction of vitamin D deficiency improves seizure control in epilepsy: a pilot stud

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Abstract

There is growing interest concerning the role of vitamin D in various medical conditions such as diabetes and oncological, cardiovascular and central nervous system disorders. Although vitamin D deficiency is known to be highly prevalent among epilepsy patients, only a single study, published nearly forty years ago, assessed the effect of vitamin D on seizure control. Here, we measured serum 25-hydroxy-vitamin D (25(OH)D) levels and normalized it by administration of vitamin D3 in 13 patients with pharmacoresistant epilepsy. To see if vitamin D3 has an impact on seizure frequency, we compared seizure numbers during a 90-day period before and after treatment onset. We found that seizure numbers significantly decreased upon vitamin D3 supplementation. Median seizure reduction was 40%. We conclude that the normalization of serum vitamin 25(OH)D level has an anticonvulsant effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=22503468

Last edited:
But Robin, you can't make money off of Vitamin D, so what's the point of researching its anti-seizure properties?

Ugh

But Robin, you can't make money off of Vitamin D, so what's the point of researching its anti-seizure properties?

For awhile now I've been considering taking extra classes to tailor my degree to get into a neurobiology/genetics graduate program. But then I remember this idea where research isn't funded unless money is to be made. I want to help people with Epilepsy, but I won't be apart of this system with no care other than the bottom line. It's sad, really.

I posted before asking if anyone had both epilepsy and MS in their families. I read about this research some weeks ago and was very interested in it, given the apparent link between a lack of VitD and MS. Is E, like MS, more common in countries where people have less exposure to sunlinght, I wonder?

It's an interesting question. The majority of people with epilepsy (85%) live in the developing world, which I believe encompasses countries with more sun exposure rather than less. But there might be particular kinds of epilepsy that have regional clusters. I don't know if the specific data has been gathered for that kind of analysis.

Interesting Nakamova. I didn;t know that, so that probably blows that one out of the water!

Havok, we (it's my daughter who has epilepsy) live in Scotland. We hardly ever see the sun here, not even in summer any more :(

You still get sun through clouds, just less. Means more time outside :)

Go outside and get sun! Now! Go! Go! lol
In the northern hemisphere, in the winter, it's impossible to produce vitamin D from the sun if you live north of about 40 degrees latitude, because the sun never gets high enough in the sky for its ultraviolet B rays to penetrate the atmosphere. So a supplement is needed then (approx. 2000 IUs per day).

In the summer, a daily sunshine dose should do it (unless there are factors that interfere with metabolism of vitamin D, like certain meds). When the sun's UV-B rays hit the skin, it causes a reaction that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D. If you're fair-skinned, going outside for 10-20 minutes at midday — exposing as much skin as is legal:) — should give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 IU of the vitamin. More than 20 minutes won't help with D production, since at that point the chemicals in the skin are "maxed out" for the next 24 hours. Staying longer in the sun doesn’t cause any more vitamin D to be made.

There are a lot of individual factors that can affect D absorption (sun exposure, latitude, altitude, time of year, skin color, age, diet, , meds, general health, etc.), so it's worth having D blood levels checked from time to time, and adding a supplement if needed.

Thanks as ever Nakamova. On checking, we're about 55 degrees north. I'm sure I bought a VitD supplement for at least one of my kids after the last piece of research on its link to MS. I'll have a search of the cupboard when I get home from work to see if there's any still there. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom