Could This Happen To Someone Who Doesn't Have Seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

JLogefeil

New
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone who has never had a seizure take Anti Seizure Meds and the pills cause them to have seizures.
The reason I m asking is because my friend was stealing my
Keppra pills and I don't know how long she was doing this but I m afraid these pills will cause her to have seizures and she never had one. The longer she took them is there a higher chance of her having a seizure?

Why would she take a medication she wasn't prescribed (I assume) or didn't need (is it used for something other than seizures?).

Ya I was, but my friend was taking some of them becuase I just got a refill and it seemed a little too soon. But I was just wanting to know if she would be ok. I have my pills in a different spot and I will be keeping better tabs on my pill better now.

My neurologist said you can get seizures from them if you stop them suddenly even if you don't normally have seizures, and I'm also on Keppra. I guess if she wasn't taking them all that frequently she would be okay, but if she was taking them everyday, that could be a problem...

My friend was stealing my Keppra pills and I don't know how long she was doing.
Was your friend taking your Keppra pills to use herself or was she just stealing them from you because she finds it funny. If she is stealing your medication then she doesn't sound like a very good friend.

Last edited:
She was stealing them and taking them because she thought it was funny. I'm very upset at her.

That is some twisted sense of humour. I hope she buys you the replacements. They ain't cheap.
Does she want to steal some attention perhaps?
Does she want to mess with her own brain?
Geez. I hope no one else thought it was funny.
I sure hope she wasn't/isn't a very good friend. Who needs enemies with friends like that.

What a nut job, taking someone *seizure* medication! I am sorry she was taking them. Did she take/take them... like swallow them or just take them and can give them back :(

I agree, she is NOT a very good friend. Heck, I'd say she wasn't a friend at all if she is putting *me* in danger by taking my medication :(

And yes, you can have seizures if you stop taking your meds (or someone else's meds).

I say stay away from pill poppers. I wonder what else she's taking..

the price for Keppra can cost well over $300.00 per bottle to some that dont have any insurance...:paperbag:

Last edited:
Rich, are you saying she asked this questions on other epilepsy sites??? If so, I don't see and issue with that. Someone can be active on several sites

Rich: I also talk to people on Insipre. I mosly get replies from this site. I like this site more but I didnt think this question would cause so many problems. I m so sorry if I offended someone. I just didn't know why could happen to her and yes I should have been more careful. Sorry everyone:(

I didnt think this question would cause so many problems. I m so sorry if I offended someone. I just didn't know why could happen to her and yes I should have been more careful. Sorry everyone:(
I did't find your question offensive at all.
I just don't understand what your friend was thinking taking your medication from you, whether it was so she could try it herself or because she was being a b**ch.

What your friend needs to understand is that taking any medication which is not prescribed to them is a bad idea. Because not only is it affecting you because it may cause you to run out of your Keppra but if this friend is actually swallowing the Keppra herself you don't know what side effects she could have from it.

I know it's a hard thing to do but maybe you should look at whether this person really is a friend & think about stopping the friendship.

Rich: I also talk to people on Insipre. I mosly get replies from this site. I like this site more but I didnt think this question would cause so many problems. I m so sorry if I offended someone. I just didn't know why could happen to her and yes I should have been more careful. Sorry everyone:(

What is so offensive?

That is some twisted sense of humour.
Does she want to steal some attention perhaps?
Does she want to mess with her own brain?

I agree. Maybe your friend IS seeking attention or is suffering from what used to be called Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, now known as Fictitious Disorder by Proxy. It is where an individual, usually a mother or caretaker, fabricates an illness in themselves in order to get attention. If she is doing so, she is the sick one! And if she is literally taking your Keppra, she could end up seizing if her body isn't introduced properly to the medication. Good thing you did put your meds in a different location.

I was wondering if someone who has never had a seizure take Anti Seizure Meds and the pills cause them to have seizures.
Yes. Meds that work on the brain are quite powerful. Mis-using them can put the brain at risk. Starting or stopping an anti-seizure medication suddenly -- or taking it inconsistently -- can stress the brain and potentially cause a seizure.

It disgusts me to know that there are people who would steal another person's life saving medication.

It is quite easy to understand why a pill popper would steal Keppra; it has the "May cause drowsiness" sticker on it. They (the pill popper) might believe that Keppra will give them the same euphoric effect as an opioid pain killer would.

Back
Top Bottom